Hops and trub seperation from the kettle: Devices and techniques

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smashed4

Reaction score
I am looking for the best way to seperate the hops and break material from the kettle before transferring to the fermenter. I am using an IC.

I am considering a few techniques:

Whirlpooling after chilling in the kettle, then racking while not disturbing the hop/trub mass in the bottom. I have tried this technique before and the whole hops would clog the racking cane at some point and it would not work properly.

My new kettle will have a ball valve at the bottom so I could try the whirlpool technique again but this time just have to open the valve. Will whole hops clog the valve? Will it not clog the valve but still pass through it?

I have also seen stainless mesh tubes like this one:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/pics/fullsize/mashscreen.jpg
and I am wondering if it is worth it? By being constantly at the bottom of the kettle it will prevent to do a proper whirlpool, but I guess whirlpooling is not required with this thing anyway?
The northern brewer description says it will filter whole hops in the kettle but will pellet hops pass through it or clog it?

NORTHERN BREWER: Weldless Fittings

I have also seen a similar item named the "Bazooka screen".. seemed to be pretty much the same but more expensive?

The other technique I have seen involves using a hop bag like this one:
Hop Bag - Home Brewing Wiki

Can the hop bag device be used alone or is it better to use another technique above (whirlpooling or stainless screen) in conjunction?

Any other techniques I am missing? I have seen false bottom for kettles also but it seems a little overkill..

Thank you!

Cedric

I have had mixed results trying to whirlpool, too unreliable IMO.

The screen like you said "hops pass through it or clog it"

Hop bag seems neat but some report reduction in hop utilization. Also doesn't address break on its own.

Check out The Hop Stopper. Seems like a really good solution.

If you have your filter screen on a pick up tube off to the side of the Kettle then the whirlpool would work. I just use a false bottom and leave the leaf hops behind but the trub goes into the conical fermenter. Not a problem for me and many claim that the proteins in the trub (break material) are beneficial to the yeast. I have done the hop bag as well and it works well but the break material is what makes it through the ball valve. What I did not like was the hop stopper as it clogged up with break material and made me sanitize my hand and stick it in the wort for a hop stopper removal procedure.

My ultimate choice would be pick up tube on side with false bottom for a flat bottomed kettle.

There are basically five approaches to this:

1. A screen or braided SS hose

2. A slotted or drilled manifold

3. A false bottom

4. hop bag

5. custom designs such as the Hop Stopper

I use a false bottom. Some of the finer hop debris (from pellet hops mostly) will pass through the false bottom, but they do no harm in the fermenter and by some accounts it's beneficial to the yeast.

So, there are more than a few options. Only you can decide what may work best with your system.

I have a Bazooka T-screen, and it works just fine. Kind of a PITA to clean, but was easy to install and really does keep the hops and trub out. After the first gallon or so, a layer build up on the mesh that acts as another "natural" filter. After that, the beer coming out of my counterflow chiller is super clear. The bazooka screens are pretty expensive compared to the other options, but it works well and I'm happy with the product.

DSCF0142.JPG

DSCF0156.JPG

Great. Seems like there are many ways to properly do it.

And yes, like many pointed out, I don't care either for break and hop matters going into the fermenter as it will settle out anyway. But I do care about an easy transfer with no clogging of the dip tube..

annasdad: [edit] *I like your* non-whirlpool-disturbing dip tube approach. Have you tried it with whole hops?

I might combine your approach with a hop bag, just to limit the amount of hop matter that needs to be whirlpooled and decrease risks of clogging

Great. Seems like there are many ways to properly do it.

And yes, like many pointed out, I don't care either for break and hop matters going into the fermenter as it will settle out anyway. But I do care about an easy transfer with no clogging of the dip tube..

annasdad: [edit] *I like your* non-whirlpool-disturbing dip tube approach. Have you tried it with whole hops?

I might combine your approach with a hop bag, just to limit the amount of hop matter that needs to be whirlpooled and decrease risks of clogging

I have not tried it with whole leaf, but I imagine it would work in the same manner. A hop bag would probably do well too.

Back