First time bottling: Grolsch or cap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SumnerH

Reaction score
I've been saving up Grolsch bottles to use in bottling my first batch (it's 10 days into primary now). What are people's opinions of them vs. regular pry-off bottles? Should I replace the gaskets for the first re-use or not (presuming I use them)?

I understand the perils of green glass, I'm more curious about the swing-tops vs. crowns. I already have a red baron hand capper and caps, so that's not an issue.

I also have a few champagne/sparkling cider bottles that I'm planning on using to have a few bigger bottles around.

EDIT: And it's not a pressing question, I plan on racking to secondary for a couple of weeks once primary is done and cleaned up.

Inspect each gasket for cracks and make sure they are pliable. Replace bad ones. Green glass is not a problem if you keep them in a box. I love plop tops.

Great, thanks. I've got replacement gaskets at hand for when bottling day arrives.

So no concerns about fliptops being less likely to hold carbonation or anything?

i've used mine for at least 4 times without replacing the gaskets. Take them off as soon as you open the bottle, that gives them a chance to flatten out.

i've used mine for at least 4 times without replacing the gaskets. Take them off as soon as you open the bottle, that gives them a chance to flatten out.

Haven't thought of that, but it is a good tip and will probably start doing it.

I have only ever used Swing tops... there is nothing like taking a nice chilled homebrew and hearing that "pop" before you pour.

Now I've got enough flip-tops, I rarely use crown-cap bottles. Green glass only matters if it's going to sit in strong light, which my aging area doesn't get, and if they're in boxes why worry?

The ease of use makes Bob <3 flip-topz. ;)

Bob

I love the swing tops. I have about 40 Grolsch bottles and maybe 12 or so of the Fischer 22oz swing tops. I wish I had more grolsch bottles but I'm not sure I want to drink that much Grolsch to get them.

Dennis

Hi ,i Use Grolsch Bottles For Beer And Hard Cider.i Have A Nice Collection Of Grolsch,harpoon 12oz.,guiness Lg. And Various 22 0z ,i Also Have 24 Ea 500 Cl.
P E T Plastic.it Takes 8 Grolschs To Bottle A Gallon,8x5 = 40.i Like To Use Some 12 Oz For Testers ,.after You Wash Them Turn Them Upside Down And Dunk The Capper In Star San.good Luck

Back