Growlers as bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newt113

Reaction score
Hey everyone, this is my first post so if my formatting is incorrect I apologize. I have a plethora of growlers left over at my house from a lazy drunk room mate who never returned them. I'm wondering if it's possible to use these growlers for bottling and secondary fermentation? These growlers have screw tops, but is there any other way to cap these suckers so they will be air tight, or should I just abandon the growlers and go with a traditional bottle set up? Thanks and have a great day.

-Ben:rockin:

From a Ben to a Ben....These will work. I usually put about 2 gallons of my brew into growlers. The screw caps will work, just crank them the hell on tight!!!. I also always buy new caps each time. The gasket tends to shrink a bit after a use and I dont want to even deal with the possibility of flat beer.

The first time I ever brewed i bottled in growlers- if I had any that weren't clear I still would. Flippies for me for now but the growlers worked great!

Back