Dry-Hemping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't do it!
I wasn't me!
I wasn't even there!
I swear!
I swear!!!

I really want to make weed beer ounce....no matter the cost...i just want a recipe that works...and if possible simple....

I lived in Northern California (Humboldt County) for a while. They've got a local brew called Hemp Ale, which is nothing like what you're looking for.

While I was there, though, I got invited to a party thrown by a brewer at the local microbrew. He had some kegged beers he made for fun that were impossible to sell: wormwood ale and a THC ale. They worked incrediably well. I wasn't brewing at the time, so I didn't ask him how he did it, but, with some thought, you could make it work.

well a freind of a friend of a friend in Canada.....

In other words NOT ME. Really

Used to grow hops and "other" plants.
Just out of curiosity dropped some nice smelly buds into a few bottles at bottling times.

There was no psychotropic effects, however the beer did get a wonderful skunky nose to it which I (errrr, HE) found quite nice. The residual plant material wasn't of interest personally however another friend (really this time) informed me that he kept the stuff and dried it out and smoked it.

How was it I asked. HORRIBLE, he said, but it did the job!:cross:

Taste is relative I guess.

the stuff with THC aside, hemp has many, many uses and is a heck of a lot more sustainable than other crops we grow.
Seeds are Good for humans and animal feed as they are high in fiber, good lipids, and essential proteins but are "illegal" to grow in US. :confused:

Hemp clothes wear in, not out.
hemp paper to replace acres of pine trees
etc, etc, etc.

And I agree (without admitting to anything, one way or the other) something kinda messed up about the severity of the laws for something no "worse" than booze or the thousands of prescription drugs that we really don't know the long-terms effects of...

Just for the record - the main reason weed was made illegal in the first place was because of the threat it posed to the burgeoning petro-chemical industry when it was in it's infancy. A good number of the items that are derived from oil are easily and less dangerously made from the hemp plant. Paper, cloth, fuel - think about it.....

Kay, my two cents...
My suggestion would be to infuse your dried herb with whiskey (instead of say vodka or grain alcohol) while your ale is in the primary (letting it steep for a week or so), and then to add it towards the end of fermentation in the secondary. Whiskey imparts a flavor that is much more compatible with beer (for instance, Northern Brewer has a "Bourbon Barrel Porter" kit that they sell http://www.northernbrewer.com/docs/kis-html/1601.html , which looks interesting even without your herbal additions). Another option would be to brew an ale of fairly high gravity, and then dry hop in the secondary. The former option, in my opinion, would provide more of the desired effects, while imparting a fairly mellow flavor.
MJ is orally active by itself, but to a significantly lesser degree than other modes of ingestion; and thc is soluble in alcohol and fats.
Also, I would avoid adding it to the boil (and others will doubtless disagree), as I would fear that this would destroy some of the volatile oils (and other things).
Of course, all of this is just hypothetical, right? We all have the utmost respect for the law, even when the law is ridiculous.

Oh, and when I say "add it to the secondary" - I mean just the whiskey (filter out the plant material)... By this point it will have absorbed enough of the desired chemicals.

Or you could just smoke it while you drink your homebrew...

Single most expensive beer I've ever made. 9 cases of 187 ml. bottles. Special hops... um, lots... I think about $600.00 worth. (not my phase of the process...) Soaked about 2 months in Everclear, added at the end of the boil. Barleywine, maybe about 1.090 or so. The brew was purposefully undocumented.
Effect?
Yet to be determined, but our estimation is one of the small bottles should be good for 2 people, based on a test of the everclear extract at the proper dilution.
Will report back later.
:drunk:

lol i had a horrible dream last night that i smoked pot and had a pee pee test the next day and i lost my job and every thing ive worked so hard to get lol i woke up and told my self it was just a dream and went back to sleep ;)

now with that being said why couldnt you add buds just as you would hops during the boil? i mean it would be somewhat expensive lol but we are talking about weed beer here,

and another observation, wouldnt you brew it more for TASTE as to getting "high" from it? i mean if you wanted to get high why dont you just smoke it 1oz of bud would do alot more for you smoking it than it would if you brewed it into a 5 gallon batch of beer lol just my observation ;)

:rockin:

gonzoflick said:
THC is not water soluable. You must infuse it into High Gran spirits or use it in the distillation process of the spirits itself....COUGH... not that Id know or anything..COUGH

Since bud is closely related to hops... in theory the thc would isomerize like hop alpha acids do.

I have acquired a couple onces of weed leaf from a friend that is covered in thc.

after reading most of this thread i came to a conclusion what i am going to do with it.

I am probably going to throw it into the mash since a temperature of 170 will be enough to dissolve the thc.

what kind of beers do you guys think would taste good with a little weed flavor?

and the legalization is on its was i live in Colorado where we voted to legalize but failed it was like 40% to 60%. IT IS ALREADY LEGAL IN Denver but but still against federal and state law so it doesn't matter much.

If I were to theoretically do this on my next batch, which will be a porter, I think I would split off enough to fill a 1 gallon secondary. That way, a guy wouldn’t have to spend a crazy amount on “special hops”. Grind it up in a coffee grinder, steep it in a couple cups of water to sanitize, and dump it all in and let it dry hop for a couple weeks. A couple guys can put down a gallon with no problem and still be sober enough to know if the “special hops” added anything besides flavor/aroma. HIGH gravity porter…. yumm Theoretically of course?

Would this be considered a “gateway brew”?? I think Coke used to be made with a cocaine additive. Or if you really didn't like someone you could add a little LSD to a bottle and not tell them.
Definitely don’t need to "theoretically" dive into that though. I don’t think “Bubbas Toy” would make for a good screen name.

:fro:

The Porterhouse in Dublin did a Hemp beer a while back. Obviously without all the goodness, but with the aroma of walking through Amsterdam. I quite liked it. Brought back memories of my time spent living in Holland

seefresh said:
Why kill it?
Please don't turn this into a big political debate.

Here's why I roll my eyes at this topic:

First, I don't think weed would add a particularly good flavor to any beer (yes, I've had my fair share of "exposure" through college). Why brew a beer that tastes like a$$?

Second, many people on this forum are quick to point out the legalities surrounding underage brewing as well as distilling. However, it seems they turn a blind eye to this topic. Weed is still illegal (at least in the US, where most of the forum members reside). Let's not encourage illegal activity here despite any personal opinions on the "legalize pot" debate.

Hey Yuri, not to be rude at all, but I think 10 pages without a negative post, even by mods, until now is a pretty good sign that this is accepted topic of conversation... mainly due to freedom of speech. Also, as far as stills go, did you read the one I started when I first joined here? https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=20918 The mods were quick to chime in that it was an allowed topic and shouldn't be deleted or scrutinized as it was in the beginning. I think the same goes for this topic.

My 2 cents, which really aint worth much. If it gets deleted no big deal, but I hate to see it go. Very informative.

I have no personal interest in this topic, but I'm not inclined to close it. Now, if people start offering to make "swaps," per se, or discussing methodologies of growing the source material, I might change my mind.

So, anyone who's paniced that we're going to start overmodding - I'M LETTING THIS GO!

(I do agree with Yuri, though - this is going to taste like ass ;))

Yea, on a side note, I agree too.... it has some potential, with a light light light beer and a REALLY top notch herbal substitutes, but probably, in the long run, 99% wil taste like ass.

I would start off first by boiling it in water. I would strain it, then reboil it back in water and strain it again. This would get nearly all the nasties out that aren't any good.

I would probably add it to the boil, that way it is heat activated, and it gets to ferment with the alcohol. You could probably "dry hop" it in the secondary, but I would imagine the more fermentation it gets the better.

If you are one who is fimiliar with brownies, you could try making butter and add that in the secondary. I imagine this would work with 100% certainty, but risking the taste of weed and butter in a beer might be dangerous and down right nasty.

Although, this is all a "theory."

Thanks for pointing that out. As mentioned above, if one was theoretically in a legal country and attempted this expirement, I would most definitely add it to the boil. However, I'm not certain how much would be needed to add. I wouldn't theoretically put over one ounce, just for extreme taste reasons. Perhaps you could theoretically make a IPA, and replace HALF of the hops with the ganja. This could be theoretically not too bad, considering the hops are a little stronger in smell/taste (and the ganja is boiled twice over.) May not be bad, but could leave a green tint to the brew!

Thanks!

seefresh said:
If it gets deleted no big deal, but I hate to see it go. Very informative.
Eh, I'm not asking for deletion, I'm just tired of seeing this thread pop up. You know my opinion...I'll leave the thread alone now.

Why not treat it like butter withouty actually using butter? I would:

-Make my beer as normal, presumably something rather strong that could mask any grassy flavors leeched from the bud.

-Transfer to secondary and let sit a week or so.

-Remove a quart or so of the beer from secondary and add the bud to this. Heat the mixture up to 150, to be conducive to leeching the THC out without boiling it. Mash for maybe an hour or so?

-transfer this quart with the bud to a seperate container and let sit a few days. Any THC not leeched into the beer by this point might still come out after a few days.

-Strain quart and pour back into secondary.

-bottle

You could use the "butter effect" of heating up the substance you want the THC to go into. This 100 post thread seems to agree that higher temperature is conducive to transferring THC. Then, by letting it sit in the alcohol for a few days, any leftover THC might be soaked up by the alcohol of the beer like soaking vanilla beans in vodka. If I were ever to try making Pot Beer, this would be the way I'd go. Any thoughts?
-Ben

You do know that marijuana and hops are related right? That is why, in theory, a rolling boil would isomerize the thc oils.

Dry hopping will just give you the bud aroma not thc.

Unless you reeeeeeeally like the taste of bong water, you might want to make a dark beer with loads of flavor hops. Though I'm not sure what isomerised bud oils would taste like.

Knowledge is not illegal.. at least in most free countries. You can't commit a crime with knowledge, just the use of that knowledge.

Ok guys listen up.

I did this about erm....6 months ago? My buddy was crushed in a construction accident, i.e. steel falling on him, and now his back spasms and he has constant pain so here in Oregon he got a license for Marijuana and uses it frequently. He also found interest in making marijuana beer and since i am a homebrewer he came to be for the services.

Mixing marijuana and alcohol is a trick because you need to know your ratios. THC on the molecular level will connect with the alcohol molecules and if you have too much THC and not enough alcohol there will be nothing for the THC to attach to and therefore it's a waste of bud. He wanted to use an ounce and a half for this brew, and with the high quality of his plant i had to do some research on how much alcohol we would need to get proper assimilation.

I ended up doing a Belgian trippel at 8.8% ABV to level it out. I brewed it up and waited a week and half for the primary fermentation to end, transfered to secondary and this is where i added the Marijuana. Like mixing marijuana and vodka, it needs alcohol present to mix, hence, after primary fermentation. THC is delicate and will most likely be broken and useless in a boil, so it's not recommended.

Essentially i dry-budded my beer for two weeks and bottled. It is also true that the THC will eventually die out inside of the beer after a couple of weeks so we ended up having to consume them all within a month of bottling.

The end product was very interesting, try imagining a sweet belgian trippel with the aroma of hops and bud and slight off-flavor created by the weed. I only drank 2 because they were his and i don't really care for marijuana all that much although i am from Oregon.

The feeling though was actually quite cool. I felt drunk, but really really happy and relaxed after the second one. I mellowed out quite a bit and didn't really feel spinning like you would if you got drunk and smoked, instead these two affects complemented each other quite well.

Was it worth it? Well, if you really really like marijuana and have the means, go ahead. But as for a worth while investment or just an experiment, i wouldn't recommend it. It definitely went down in my brew diary as something pretty badass but as for actual likeness to the end product, i was give-or-take.

So that's my .02 guys, take it or leave it.

Cheers

I haven't read through this thread, but why not just add hash oil at the end of the boil?

Denny's: I don't have any sites i can link you to or anything of that nature, what i do know is that my friend who is definitely a pot-head has done plenty of experimentation and explained to me that anytime he has boiled for recipes that it has never worked. Do what you please, i just took his word for it because frankly i didn't care to waste his weed in a boil.

DeathBrewer: I believe he measured out an ounce and a half of AK47 strain. Not sure what that means, but all i know is that it was a lot.

MJBeer.jpg

We named it The Heaven Creator (THC).

Klainmeister said:
DeathBrewer: I believe he measured out an ounce and a half of AK47 strain. Not sure what that means, but all i know is that it was a lot.
lol. yeah, um, that's like $600 at club prices. i'll tell my boy to invest in some seeds and start rebuilding his closet :D

[hypothetical]

Hypothetically someone might try this when that someone moves to Victoria BC. With hypothetical shake as that is well.. almost free. Hypothetically that person might throw a few ounces in the boil with bitering hops.

The brew would probably be an hoppy ipa like dark amber with some chocolate malt and honey malt. Northern brew for bittering and saaz or williamette for flav/aroma. That person might also donate most of this brew to The Vics. A Compassion club. (All hypothetically of course.)

[/hypothetical]

Now did I ever mention I built/maintained their original website in 2000?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back