Aeration of Wort using General Pump Brass Inline Water Filter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveC

Reaction score
I have been doing a lot of reading about different ways to aerate wort. I was hoping to eventually pump pure oxygen into the wort on it's way from kettle to fermenter... I also like the idea of being able to see the wort as that happens... so, I've seen some different options for doing this, most of which are cost effective enough, but provide no way to view the wort as it get's oxygenated. I know it's not really critical to be able to see what's going on, but I've seen the pro style assemblies that cost about 300 bucks, and I like that they have the clear tube where you can see the bubbles in the wort as it passes through. Additionally, I know I can just get a wand with a stone and use the disposable tanks from the hardware store... and I'm probably going to try that anyway. However, I stumbled upon this today and was curious as to what you all might think about it's ability to not only allow me to view the wort, but if the screen/ filter inside would help in aeration at all.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...i_sku=253060&gclid=CJTOpYXczrwCFVQV7AodFyAAwg

I'm not concerned so much with filtering, nor do I think this filter would need to really filter out much. I just thought that it might be a good way to both view the wort, and add some additional brass fittings to incorporate the diffusion stone for pumping in oxygen. Thoughts?

That inline filter won't aerate, since no air is being introduced.
As for the air stone-in-a-tube idea, that works if you really need to see the wort passing through a clear tube.
The reality is that you only need to oxygenate an entire 5 gallon batch for about 1 minute to get total saturation. Anything longer than that is a waste of oxygen.
I suspect transferring wort through a tube will take longer than 1 minute, and may be overkill.
On the other hand I like gadgets and gizmos, and oxygenating in a clear tube definitely falls in that category.

Back