Neat fermenter...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a pretty cool looking fermenting vessel but why not just add a cheap spigot to your current setup?

You still need to add priming sugar before bottling. I'd be worried about mixing the sugar and water without stirring up the yeast layer.

This is a pretty cool looking fermenting vessel but why not just add a cheap spigot to your current setup?

You still need to add priming sugar before bottling. I'd be worried about mixing the sugar and water without stirring up the yeast layer.

Very good point about adding sugar. Didn't think about that. I have a spigot on a bucket in my current setup, I just transfer from the fermenter to it.

It doesn't actually eliminate the bottling bucket. It expects you to add sugar directly to each bottle and *that* eliminates the bottling bucket. But you can eliminate the bottling bucket yourself*without* this fermenter by adding sugar directly to your bottles. (But you probably don't want to!)

Or you can add a bottling bucket to this fermentor.

Basically this is a Mr. Beer competitor. It's probably a fine fermenter. The Mr. Beer little brown kegs are fine fermenters (and cost only $10). But it doesn't combine anything.

That fermenter doesn't do what you think it does. It's simply a fermenter like any other fermenter, albeit a simple and easy to use one, and has nothing to do with bottling. It's a beginner kit akin to Mr. Beer (which as a 2 gallon fermenter is *just fine*) with the intention that when you bottle you put sugar directly into each bottle. Of course you can use a bottling bucket with it (or use *it* as a bottling bucket instead of a fermenter) and it'd be just fine. (Although the Mr. Beer little brown kegs would do the same and cost only $10 dollars.)

Thanks guys. Will definitely stick with my current setup.

If you have a crappy or so-so fermenter you might want to consider this or even the Mr. Beer LBK because spigotting to the bottling bucket is much easier than siphoning to the bottling bucket. Or you could get a more expensive fermenting system with a spigot.

But if you have a nice fermenter as it is you'd best leave as is.

But really this is just a fermenter, no more no less. (Although it is a very practical low space usage design.)

Conicals have their purpose, but if you bottle, nothing beats the bottling bucket.

EDIT:

The best bottling bucket is a corny keg, but if you keg, it may not be very often that you bottle...

I bottled a Halloween ale and 2 kinds of wine from my corny keg 2 years back.

I racked into the corny and used 3-4 lbs CO2 to bottle.

SO EASY!!!!

Back