pump up sprayer to dispense mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krausen89

Reaction score
so i have been thinking about rigging a pump up sprayer to dispense mead for parties. or just to have one in my fridge. i am going to search for food grade plastic or something that wont give my mead off flavors while sitting in there. has anyone ever tried this? any other ideas? i just want to put a picnic tap where the sprayer nozzle goes.

It's been done. You might want to look at syrup pumps instead. A 1 oz pump would be a good choice. You can get them at restaurant supply stores.

Looks like one that you get at a Lowes or Home Depot for spraying yard stuff for bugs or weed control!

Probably is...I actually want to look to see if they are food safe plastic to try and use one with their pressure filter for wine

Is your mead carbonated? I know at least one guy who stores his mead in a corny keg in the basement, and when he wants some he just goes down and pours himself a carafe (or a pitcher for a large number). Hits it with a little gas at the beginning of the night/party and that's enough to keep it pouring through enough carafe/pitcher refills, and at the end of the night he vents the keg to make sure the mead doesn't take on any carbonation. (Like me, he's a still/sweet/sack guy.)

Another option for a party might be one of those spigoted water jugs they sell at Target, WalMart, etc. Again, this would only work for still (or maybe petillant) mead, definitely not for sparkling, and you don't want to put more in there than you'd drink in an evening as returning any unconsumed portion to the main carboy/keg/etc. would definitely oxidize the batch.

Back