Founders All Day IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JordanThomas said:
Never understood the whole 'Citra = cat piss' thing. Smells and tastes amazing to most, but the others hate it. Not sure if there's a more polarizing hop.

Taking my chances with a very similar brew next weekend using simcoe, amarillo, and citra. Yes, citra.

I have Citra from 3 different suppliers. 2 of the orders taste awesome but 1 has the cat pee odor/flavor. I've always heard that it has to do with how long they wait before they're harvested. Same goes for Simcoe - some suppliers/batches are great and some are cat pee.

cadillacandy said:
I have Citra from 3 different suppliers. 2 of the orders taste awesome but 1 has the cat pee odor/flavor. I've always heard that it has to do with how long they wait before they're harvested. Same goes for Simcoe - some suppliers/batches are great and some are cat pee.

I am very picky about hops suppliers as I used to think I was pretty bad at brewing until I got access to great hops and my beers started being a ton better. Now, I try to use Hop Union unless I can't get it from them at my LHBS.

Which 2 suppliers do you like for the Citra?

Hmm, who knew? I've only ever used Hop Union pellets for Citra. Curious to hear if that's one of the suppliers you e had success with.

I have Citra from 4 suppliers it looks like. I think the catty one was pellets from Williams. Their leaf was fine.

JordanThomas said:
Hmm, who knew? I've only ever used Hop Union pellets for Citra. Curious to hear if that's one of the suppliers you e had success with.

My hop union citra experience was very good. The old ld Carlson supplier was generic hoppiness, but fine. The hop union had a very nice tangerine note with dryhopping

theIrish said:
Adventures in Homebrewing in Ann Arbor carries Hop Union packs, at least in their store. I haven't bought anything from them online. (http://www.homebrewing.org/)

I have also gotten Hop Union packs when ordering from Nothernbrewer.

Not sure who carries them online as I've never managed to get them online. My LHBS carries them in large qty and variety, so I'm pretty lucky. I would email the large home brewing outlets to see what they carry though (I'm sure there are other great suppliers, I just don't know them)

I'm using it today in a wheat IPA with Centennial and Amarillo as well. I'll let you know what I think!

5 Gallon batch size
OG=1.040 FG=1.012 SRM=6 IBU=40 (Rager) I got 70% Extract efficiency. I think I mashed at 148F.

6# 12oz Briess 2-row
1# 2oz Briess Caramel 20L
12oz flaked oats
4oz Briess Red Wheat

8g Crystal 3.4AA leaf 60 min
6g Simcoe 14.1AA leaf 60 min
14g Amarillo 8.6AA pellet 20 min
14g Crystal 3.4AA leaf 20 min
14g Simcoe 14.1AA leaf 20 min
14g Amarillo 8.6AA pellet 5 min
14g Crystal 3.4AA leaf 5 min

Dryhop (7 days)
14g Simcoe 14.1AA
14g Amarillo 8.6AA
14g Crystal 3.4AA

scaled this for a 3 gal batch. used sa05 1 week primary (1.040 down to 1.008), dry hopped for 3 days and cold crashed for another 3 days. kegged and force carbed. after 2 days aroma and taste are pretty consistant with the original, just fresher. going to give it a few days in the keg and do a side by side comparison.

thanks for the recipe, definitely a keeper.

maybe i am way off here but i get tons of gooseberry when i taste this beer. i sampled this beer for the first time last year at founders. the only thing i could think of was nelson sauvin.

tabing75 said:
maybe i am way off here but i get tons of gooseberry when i taste this beer. i sampled this beer for the first time last year at founders. the only thing i could think of was nelson sauvin.

I think we have it pretty darn close here, but give it a try and let us know

Anyone ever try the zythos hop ???

Yea, I made an all zythos test batch not long ago, huge tangerine aroma and flavor. It was dry hopped though, so Idk how aroma would normally come through.

I'm actually about to brew this recipe, subbing zythos for the amarillo but keeping the rest the same. I'll keep posted on how this turns out.

I should add, the tangerine flavor did subside as the aroma did. Maybe it was a taste perception thing? Like my brain smelled it, so it thought I should taste it? Either way, that batch didn't last long at all! I think maybe a week and a half....yummy stuff!

wickman6 said:
Yea, I made an all zythos test batch not long ago, huge tangerine aroma and flavor. It was dry hopped though, so Idk how aroma would normally come through.

I'm actually about to brew this recipe, subbing zythos for the amarillo but keeping the rest the same. I'll keep posted on how this turns out.

I should add, the tangerine flavor did subside as the aroma did. Maybe it was a taste perception thing? Like my brain smelled it, so it thought I should taste it? Either way, that batch didn't last long at all! I think maybe a week and a half....yummy stuff!

I usually pull a couple of bottles off before dry hopping when I'm making a test batch so I know what the dry hopping adds.

The fade was probably just the volatile hop compounds degrading. I pretty much get the FADIPA on tap or right when they release it in bottles because of the fast aroma dissipation. Thinking of hop-bursting this one to amp up the hop aroma...

I just brewed this Saturday. I followed the last posted recipe exactly, however I was forced to sub in Mt Hood of a similar AA because LHBS does not stock crystal. I made one mistake, was short on runnings and my head was a little fuzzy with my neighbors homebrew, instead of adding another gallon of hot water to the mash tun to get more runnings / sugars, I added approx 3/4 lb of DME I had laying around. I had to dilute a bit post boil to get my gravity down, as it was 1.060, but I was able to get @6 gals at 1.048, so it's a little bigger than the session I wanted.

Next time!

Can't wait to drink this one.

I brewed my second batch of this today. First batch came out really good with just Simcoe and Amarillo (no Crystal). This time I couldn't get Amarillo so I used Simcoe/Crystal (bittering), Simcoe/Crystal/Cascade (15min.), Simcoe/Crystal (5min.), and Simcoe/Casdcade/Sorachi Ace (knockout). I've never used Sorachi Ace but was told it would produce a lemony citrus if used late in the boil so I decided to go for it (only 1/2 oz.).

I'm now debating what to use for dryhop. I have Simcoe, Crystal, Cascade, Citra, Sorachi Ace, and Columbus as possibilities. I don't want to "muddy" up the hop profile by adding too many varieties so I'm thinking maybe Simcoe/Crystal/Sorachi Ace... Any input on whether or not these would go well together in the dry hop?

Thanks, and I'll be sure to post results!

BassBeer said:
I brewed my second batch of this today. First batch came out really good with just Simcoe and Amarillo (no Crystal). This time I couldn't get Amarillo so I used Simcoe/Crystal (bittering), Simcoe/Crystal/Cascade (15min.), Simcoe/Crystal (5min.), and Simcoe/Casdcade/Sorachi Ace (knockout). I've never used Sorachi Ace but was told it would produce a lemony citrus if used late in the boil so I decided to go for it (only 1/2 oz.).

I'm now debating what to use for dryhop. I have Simcoe, Crystal, Cascade, Citra, Sorachi Ace, and Columbus as possibilities. I don't want to "muddy" up the hop profile by adding too many varieties so I'm thinking maybe Simcoe/Crystal/Sorachi Ace... Any input on whether or not these would go well together in the dry hop?

Thanks, and I'll be sure to post results!

Go light on the crystal dryhop or it will taste soapy. I would try simcoe, cascade, and a half dose of sorachi ace OR citra myself, but this looks good too. Let us know how it turns out (I have two more bombers of my last batch, but I'm holding off brewing it again until I can get Amarillo again...)

Go light on the crystal dryhop or it will taste soapy. I would try simcoe, cascade, and a half dose of sorachi ace OR citra myself, but this looks good too. Let us know how it turns out (I have two more bombers of my last batch, but I'm holding off brewing it again until I can get Amarillo again...)

Thanks for the feedback! I may try to find some Amarillo while the batch is fermenting and use it and Simcoe in the dryhop. I do love the Amarillo profile and it wouldn't be the same beer without it. If I can't ill probably stick with simcoe/cascade/sorachi. Thanks again brewski!

I bottled this on 6/28 and couldnt wait to pop a bottle. It's perfectly carbonated, and, it, is, AWESOME. It is dead on. Seriously unreal. Its easily my best homebrew yet. I fermented with a nottingham cake and dry hopped 10 days (couldnt bottle until 10 wanted it at 7) ...I should actually start rebrewing this now because the 2.75 cases I got out of my inflated batch will go VERY VERY VERY quickly.

Whoeveres recipe this is THANK YOU JEEEBUS you are awesome.

So, has anybody tried the extract version yet? I could do a partial mash but that's it right now.

msmith92 said:
So, has anybody tried the extract version yet? I could do a partial mash but that's it right now.

I did some extract with specialty grain steeping only batches when I was working on the recipe. They turned out nice. What were you thinking of using for your grains/malts?

I'm not sure. I guess some cara pils & cars 120. or special b?

what extract type?

I used the Briess CBW Golden Light LME (2 cans for 5 gallons) and did it with crystal 20L (about 6oz/.37lb). also did it with a little bit of chocolate malt (about 1oz), but I don't think that was too accurate. I would probably use a few ounces of the 120L and let it be a little darker than it is supposed to be. the flavor should be pretty nice.

I don't know the legalities of posting their exact recipe, but I will post:
2 Row, Crystal 20, Red Wheat, Flaked Oats and Maize, Rye Malt
Simcoe, Amarillo in the boil
Simcoe, Amarillo, Crystal in the dry hop

mewellsar said:

I don't think there is anything illegal about posting their ingredient list. It would be more a sign of respect to the brewery for making a retail clone recipe to not share specifics

5 Gallon batch size
OG=1.040 FG=1.012 SRM=6 IBU=40 (Rager) I got 70% Extract efficiency. I think I mashed at 148F.

6# 12oz Briess 2-row
12oz flaked oats
4oz Briess Red Wheat

Dryhop (7 days)
14g Simcoe 14.1AA
14g Amarillo 8.6AA
14g Crystal 3.4AA

I made this just recently, but converted it to partial mash. Replaced the 6# of 2-row with 1# 2-row and 3# extra-light DME (1# at start of boil, 2# late extract addition @15 m). Used US-05 yeast, Hallertauer in place of Crystal hops (no Crystal at LHBS), and adjusted hop quantities to keep same IBU level. One week in primary, one week dry hopping, and then into a keg.

This beer is excellent.

Out of respect to AHS, I won't post the detailed amounts, and even if this isn't exact, it's a damn good beer out of the tap tonight.

Here's the link, buy it one time and the recipe is yours.

I think I'm going to add some grain next time to boost the ABV but see if I can maintain the hop profile as it is exactly what I love in an IPA.

5 Gallon batch size

6# 12oz Briess 2-row
12oz flaked oats
4oz Briess Red Wheat

Dryhop (7 days)
14g Simcoe 14.1AA
14g Amarillo 8.6AA
14g Crystal 3.4AA

I used WLP862 Cry Havoc (british yeast qualities) because its my house strain. I plan on culturing some Bells yeast soon. Suggest WLP001 or equivalent if you don't have Bells yeast, but anything mild/neutral will work.

My only change would be less of the Crystal hops for flavor, maybe half, and add simcoe to balance the IBU, or just increase one of the bittering additions. I also love Amarillo, so I wouldn't be opposed to bumping up the 5 minute addition of Amarillo for more aroma. I thought this was a really close recipe as it is. I will probably add about 1/4 oz of Citra for dryhop next time to get a mild tangerine.

For extract, just use some Briess CBW Golden Light and make sure you pitch enough yeast and have a healthy fermentation. You will finish a tiny bit higher (1.014 maybe?), but it should be close enough. If you think that's a little dark or too much crystal malt in the extract, the Briess CBW Pilsen Light has less crystal malt sweetness to me. I don't think the flaked adjuncts are all that important in this beer.

Cheers :mug:
is there other name for Briess Red Wheat?

lukskywok said:
is there other name for Briess Red Wheat?

You can use any red wheat. If it is soft red winter wheat, it will have a higher sugar content than others. You can also probably use white wheat I suppose without really any issues too. I just have access to this at my LHBS.

brewed this recipe last night, i got OG 1.050, question about dry hopping: 7 days in primary and 14 day in secondary? do i add the hops for the last 7 days of the secondary fermentation?

lukskywok said:
brewed this recipe last night, i got OG 1.050, question about dry hopping: 7 days in primary and 14 day in secondary? do i add the hops for the last 7 days of the secondary fermentation?

Yep

whatever works for your equipment and style. I did 14 days in primary, 7 days dry hop in secondary.

I just bottled my second batch. This is my new house beer. Move over centennial blonde, ADIPA is here. The homebrew version is VERY close, and EXCELLENT. I still think the commercial version is better, but that is solely a props to the brewer, because I find it's pretty darned rare that a commercial version is BETTER than a fresh homebrewed version.

I made this just recently, but converted it to partial mash. Replaced the 6# of 2-row with 1# 2-row and 3# extra-light DME (1# at start of boil, 2# late extract addition @15 m). Used US-05 yeast, Hallertauer in place of Crystal hops (no Crystal at LHBS), and adjusted hop quantities to keep same IBU level. One week in primary, one week dry hopping, and then into a keg.

This beer is excellent.

hey sorry im a bit lost with this recipe what does 6# and 1# are these numbers of bags or what??

Back