Stout cherry herring (whiskey steeped cherries) addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lctrusner

Reaction score
I am brewing 5 gallons of an oatmeal stout from a kit. I have some cherries from a 2008 cherry herring (mixture of Jim Beam about 3/4 gallon, 2 quarts sweet cherries and 1 cup sugar) that is quite sweet and mellow from the aging of the cherries and whiskey. I have about 2 quarts of cherries to add to a 5 gallon stout. the cherry steeped whiskey (called cherry herring) is pretty sweet, and you dont really notice you are drinking what is probably a 30-35% alcohol. I was thinking of adding all the cherries from the batch as the whiskey is almost gone. 1. Does anyone know if the brew (from what will certainly be a high abv after the addition of the cherries) will take a proper carbonation for bottling from the priming sugar? 2. Will this be too much whiskey (i.e. cherry addition) to add to 5 gallons of beer? Thanks in advance.

The beer turned out pretty well. Good cherry flavor up front especially as it warms up, then the sweetness of the malt, nice carbonation level. Will make another one with fresher cherries this year.

Back