Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do it right and it will reward you with the most tasty thing you have ever eaten. I did my first one about 6 months ago, and I try and do one every other month.

I love brisket. It is a nice departure from pulled pork BBQ. It can be expensive, but so are ribs these days, and at least with brisket you are paying for meat and not bone...

So far I've "dry brined" it for a few hours then mixed and applied a rub. Will leave in the fridge till tomorrow.

Have gotten some advice from friends and a huge amount of info from WWW.amazingribs.com. Great site.

View attachment 1436047603540.jpg

We did some burgers & fresh Hungarian sausage in the pit yesterday. The sausage was red with paprika, garlic, parsley & seasonings. Great flavor.

Pork butt has been in the smoker for about 3 hours. Rubbed last night and using applewood to smoke. MMMMM pulled pork sammiches tonight. Making some potato salad, cole slaw and beans later.

I have one in my fridge I am planning on smoking Wednesday. Haven't decided how yet. Will be my first!

Mine turned out pretty damn tasty for a first attempt (I used to live in Texas so I know what good brisket is supposed to taste like). I rushed it a bit, so just a touch chewy, but delicious and moist.

Dry brined, rubbed, over night in fridge, smoked for a few hours, wrapped, continued to cook at about 225 (brought the temp up later to rush it along...better to keep it low & slow)... Should have cooked longer with more time at 180-205F internal temp. Think it would have been a bit more tender, but I'm pleased for a first attempt.

View attachment 1436148152623.jpg

I just got done eating some burgers I doctored up with a little hickory smoke, and then I see this thread! Looks good, everybody!

Welcome to the First Church Of BBQ, please stand for our first hymn........

"Amazing meat, how great that sounds, Oooo save a slab for me!!!!!" :D

Love all the pictures. I did a 10 lb injected and rubbed pork shoulder low and sort of slow for a total of 9 hours and it turned out great.

I wasn't sure it would be done for dinner so I used the Texas crutch for the first time on a shoulder to get through the stall faster. At 8 hours I then removed the foil and turned up the heat from 230 to 350 for an hour and the bark turned out great with very moist flavorful meat.

Second and third pork shoulders I've done came out real tasty

image.jpg

Mine turned out pretty damn tasty for a first attempt (I used to live in Texas so I know what good brisket is supposed to taste like). I rushed it a bit, so just a touch chewy, but delicious and moist.

Dry brined, rubbed, over night in fridge, smoked for a few hours, wrapped, continued to cook at about 225 (brought the temp up later to rush it along...better to keep it low & slow)... Should have cooked longer with more time at 180-205F internal temp. Think it would have been a bit more tender, but I'm pleased for a first attempt.

That looked nice. I smoked my first brisket this weekend; half of it turned into pulled brisket when I tried to get it out of the smoker. It literally fell apart on the tongs. I need to figure out how to do the brisket better next time.

I will say, it got marinated by the fat from the duck I smoked on the rack above it. :drunk:

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1436229559.982769.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1436229625.729772.jpg
Brining with a bouillon since I work a 24 tomorrow, then first thing Wednesday morning I am putting on a dry rub and putting it on the smoker.
I am planning on wrapping it and adding some more bouillon when it reaches 150 or so.

Looks good, hope mine turns out too!

Turned out pretty good for my first attempt. Smoked for 4hrs, wrapped with 8oz of the bullion base, put back on for another 5hrs. Pulled, temp was 205-210, placed in a cooler for an hour.
I will probably change a different rub next time. Happy for my first time!View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1436406386.871569.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1436406401.298501.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1436406418.021073.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1436406433.598223.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByHome Brew1436406359.246656.jpg
    959.5 KB · Views: 161
My first attempt at pork ribs turned out awesome. Honestly the best pork ribs I've ever eaten. I can't take much credit, I was just following the recipe...and will definately use it again.

amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/best_BBQ_ribs_ever.html

Wish I had taken pictures sooner, but they didn't last long after we took the first taste!

View attachment 1436449533830.jpg

I will be doing an 18-hour maple syrup and Matilda glazed pork shoulder.... and then tearing it into pieces and making tacos out of it [emoji12]

Got a pork butt on the WSM right now. I had to start it after we got home from our nieces's 10th b-day celebration last night and I some technical difficulties with the temp controller (solder connection broke on one of the wires) and that kept me up past midnight, but it's humming along just fine as I have my morning coffee.

Later i'll fire up the kettle grill to grill veggies. I get to play with ALL my Weber toys today.

Did a bacon wraped pork loin and a bunch of pizza potatoe bombs for lunch yesterday while I brewed an octoberfest lager.

How about 11 lbs of dry aged prime full packer brisket? 15 hours @ 225-250F. Hickory, salt and pepper.
photo-1-65866.jpg

photo-2-65867.jpg

photo-33-65869.jpg

photo-41-65870.jpg

photo-5-65871.jpg

Just threw a turkey on...nothing special except smoking it with grape wood.

Okay, where/how did you get a dry-aged brisket?

What was the weight before aging? How long was it aged? How much did you have to trim off?

And how did it compare to a typical brisket when cooked?

This is the first full packer I've cooked. The other brisket I cooked was a flat which was the only brisket cut my local "butcher" had. I asked them to order a full packer and to my surprise it was not cryopacked. It had some oxidation on the top of the point and along the edge where the carcass is split in half. It was 15 lbs to start and I trimmed it down to 11 to get off the oxidation, excess fat and thin part of the flat. I assume since it was prime, it finished early based on temp. I pulled it off at 199 because it felt right but it failed the pull test once sliced, too lose. Tasted ****ing great though.

Yeah, my last brisket was overdone... It was falling apart rather than something that I could pick up and hold a slice dangling from one end. But it retained moisture, and it was delicious, so I'm not complaining. Nor did my house full of guests :D

Yeah, my last brisket was overdone... It was falling apart rather than something that I could pick up and hold a slice dangling from one end. But it retained moisture, and it was delicious, so I'm not complaining. Nor did my house full of guests :D
It's hard to get perfect but so is beer sometimes.
Turkey turned out great. Nothing but olive oil on the skin. Getting the grill ready for ribs in an hour.
photo-6-65875.jpg

photo-7-65876.jpg

Smoked those pork spare ribs, a butt, some brats and then some chicken wings and thighs. It was a tasty vacation!
photo-8-65880.jpg

photo-9-65881.jpg

photo-11-65882.jpg

View attachment 291951smoked with hickory and cherry for 4 hrs then slow cooking in the oven for 10 hrs. I know using the oven is cheating but my work schedule won't allow me that much free time to drink beer and watch the smoker..........

I don't consider it cheating at all - I consider it a smart usage of fuel! We always smoke for about 3 hours, then finish off in the oven/crockpot/roaster oven. Comes out excellent every time.

smoked with hickory and cherry for 4 hrs then slow cooking in the oven for 10 hrs. I know using the oven is cheating but my work schedule won't allow me that much free time to drink beer and watch the smoker..........

That is a lot of brisket! What kind of smoker do you have?

I tried grinding my own burgers last night; chuck, short rib and left over brisket fat. Smoked then seared them. Turned out nice but missed medium rare. Still juicy.

I'm not, but I did visit Milwaukee's German Fest where they have just about the coolest BBQ type setup ever. I didn't really get the greatest photo, but imagine four of these giant bays filled with burning coals and a couple dozen pigs (spanferkel) and a few hundred chickens. They're all on a mechanism that slowly rotates the spits. It's mesmerizing to watch.

And the park is right below a bridge. You can smell the meat when you drive over the bridge. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1437821731.752092.jpg

dstar I have a homemade smoker that stands 7' tall 8' wide and 4' deep. I use 55 gallon drum to contain the fire/smoke. The whole front swings up to have total access to inside. I also hang all my cast iron in there does an exellent job keeping them conditioned.

Back