3 Floyd's Sand Pebbles "Not your father's brown ale"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DogFlynnHead

Reaction score
Love this beer. 53 IBU's 6.7%abv Caramel and toffee taste with fresh citusy hop nose and finish. Going to use 2 row, crystal 40, maybe carapils (seen lots of brown recipes with this?) and maybe some caramelized light brown sugar to help get toffee notes. Also never used Nothern Brewer 6.5AA hops before.

1.25 Northern Brewer @ 60
1.0 " " @ 15
1.5 Cascade @ 10
1.5 Cascade @ 0
2.0 Centennial dry

1) will crystal 40 give me caramel/toffee taste?
2) any commercial examples of a beer using northern brewer hops so i can gauge taste?
3) what do you think of the components to this style pushing brown ale?
THANKS!

1. any of the medium crystals will give you a toffee/caramel taste. my recommendation is to just chew on a grain of each and the one you like, use that.

2. anchor steam is the best example of northern brewer out there. they practically created a beer style designed around northern brewers.

3. i wouldnt worry about whether it pushes styles or not. styles just hamper creativity. use it as a baseline, but not as an absolute for how to have to make the beer

Love this beer. 53 IBU's 6.7%abv Caramel and toffee taste with fresh citusy hop nose and finish. Going to use 2 row, crystal 40, maybe carapils (seen lots of brown recipes with this?) and maybe some caramelized light brown sugar to help get toffee notes. Also never used Nothern Brewer 6.5AA hops before.

1.25 Northern Brewer @ 60
1.0 " " @ 15
1.5 Cascade @ 10
1.5 Cascade @ 0
2.0 Centennial dry

1) will crystal 40 give me caramel/toffee taste?
2) any commercial examples of a beer using northern brewer hops so i can gauge taste?
3) what do you think of the components to this style pushing brown ale?
THANKS!

I know this post is super old, but how'd your Sand Pebbles clone turn out? I was just thinking about my visit to 3Floyds about 2.5 years ago and Sand Pebbles just jumped into my brain and I can't get it outta my head. I gotta recreate it. It was frickin' amazing.

Looks fairly similar to the Janets Brown Ale reciope in Brewing Classic Styles.

Fullers IPA is very predominately Northern Brewer hopped and is a good one to try if you want to observe its characteristics.

I know this post is super old, but how'd your Sand Pebbles clone turn out? I was just thinking about my visit to 3Floyds about 2.5 years ago and Sand Pebbles just jumped into my brain and I can't get it outta my head. I gotta recreate it. It was frickin' amazing.

Turned out really good, but a little too dry. I used WY 1908 London Ale yeast instead of Floyd's house yeast strain. So I got the caramel and toffee start without the needed sweetness.

We are about to tweak the recipe and try it again. I'll follow up and let you know the details and how it turns out.

Cheers

Did you have any success with your "tweak" and do you have a recipe you can share?

Thanks!

Back