difference between steeped grain and mini-mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jar

Reaction score
What makes steeping grains different from a relatively inefficient mini-mash? It seems to me that steeping and mashing both involve holding the grains at 150F or so for a period of time. But I see mentioned that certain malts can't be used for steeping due to lack of conversion. What's the difference that I'm missing?

Usually steeping involved dropping the grain bag into the water while you are strating to heat it then pulling out when the temp hits 170. Not really held at mash temps very long and not a specific temp either.

The recipe from the kit I brewed this past sunday had me heat the water to a specfic temp (150 something, I can check at home), put the grain in, and hold the temp for 10 minutes. It's obviously very easy to lengthen this time if that makes a difference.

But I see mentioned that certain malts can't be used for steeping due to lack of conversion.

That IS the difference. If you only use grains that do not require conversion, it is steeping; if you use grains that require conversion mixed with enough 2-row (or other enzyme provider) to convert them, it's a mini-mash.

(If you steep grains that require conversion, you get starch haze).

Mini-mashes are not inefficient. My extraction/conversion rates are as high or higher than I get for AG.

david 42 hit the nail on the head. Only specialty grains that have undergone a special heat stewing process, and malts that have been roasted, and have had their starches converted to sugar inside the kernels, can be steeped IE..caramel a.k.a. crystal malts, roasted barley, chocolate malt, black patent malt etc. All that is occurring during the steep is to extract the already converted sugars, flavors and the colors from the grains.

All other malts of the two row, and six row variety, classified as base malts and kilned malts must be mashed at strict temperatures and times in order to activate enzymes that were created during the malting process. These enzymes, in turn, convert the starches in the kernels into fermentable sugars.

John

I'm bringing this post back to life. So if I am doing a mini mash that also calls for specialty grains, I mix the malt and specialty grains together and heat for whatever recipe calls for, say 90 minutes at 150 degrees? Then sparge after. I don't mini mash and steep the specialty grain separately, right, I simply combine malt and specialty grains into one step? Thanks!

Put them all in there together. If the water is the right temperature (within a narrow range) the malt will convert and the rest of the grains will be steeped. One easy step. Make sure you have them crushed so the water can get to all the goodness.

I'm bringing this post back to life. So if I am doing a mini mash that also calls for specialty grains, I mix the malt and specialty grains together and heat for whatever recipe calls for, say 90 minutes at 150 degrees? Then sparge after. I don't mini mash and steep the specialty grain separately, right, I simply combine malt and specialty grains into one step? Thanks!

Yooper helped me out on this thread a lot. Hope t helps you...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/partial-mash-vice-steeping-whats-difference-213677/

Put them all in there together. If the water is the right temperature (within a narrow range) the malt will convert and the rest of the grains will be steeped. One easy step. Make sure you have them crushed so the water can get to all the goodness.

Thank you

Jar,

Tried to PM you but your inbox is full...

Is that a condom on your profile picture? You use that as your air lock replacement?
I have a 5G plastic carboy as well and if that rubber is going to do the trick, PLEASE SHOW ME HOW!

Back