Damn little yeasts...crazy buggers...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arover

Reaction score
I had to post to tell you all of my wild little yeasts I have fermenting in my wheat right now. I hydrated and pitched some cooper's dry yeast into a wheat batch, my 3rd batch thus far, and boy did it take off. It had about 5 inches of headroom in the fermenter, so I thought, hey, it'll be fine. Well, I was wrong. I was in class today when I texted one of my roomies to check on the fermenter. Apparently, the krausen had opened part of the top and there was foam all over my carpet, along with the airlock being clogged. Well, anyways, after an hour or two of cleanup, it seems that the krausen has subsided, so I put the airlock back on. It's at about 65F right now, and the thing is going the fastest I've ever seen an airlock bubble.

Anyways, moral of the story is, never underestimate your yeast- always use a blowoff. :D

yup, i just learned my lesson with my cream ale. Mine was apparently a bit more violent than yours though, as i found my lid upside down on top of my bucket and a mess 3ish feet above the fermentor on the walls.

You guys gotta start taking and posting pictures of these "events", for educational purposes only!

I made 10 gallons of Cream of 3 Crops on Friday, 5 gallons with Nottingham and 5gal with S-05. Nottingham has been pushing krausen through the blow off for 5 days now.

Latest posts

Back