blackberry/honeydew melon melomel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justbrewit

Zythos Conisseur
Reaction score
so, i just made this up, its cooling right now, critique please?

5Lbs unfiltered clover honey
6Lbs honeydew melon pureed
12oz blackberries
2tsp yeast nutrient
1 pack Lalvin D 47 yeast
2tsp nutmeg
2 1/2gal water

mashed up blackberries, pureed melon added honey, brought up to 160 degrees for about 20 mins. cooling right now before i pitch yeast

oh yeah, almost forgot i also used 1/2Lb of candi sugar.

Post your OG!

That looks VERY interesting. I assume that the individual flavor of the melon will be lost, but I also suspect that it will contribute to an overall flavor that should be very good.
That looks like it will finish dry...depending on how much sugar the fruit brings to the party. D-47 is good to around 16% so you may find it nice to stabilize and sweeten, but the melon may lend itself to a dry wine. Could try both ways.

Any way you look at it...You have something to be looking forward to....6 or 8 or 10 or 12 months from now.

Post your OG!

That looks like it will finish dry...depending on how much sugar the fruit brings to the party. D-47 is good to around 16% so you may find it nice to stabilize and sweeten, but the melon may lend itself to a dry wine.

i looked on the company website and it says that the yeast is good to about 14%, which is why i choose this yeast. i'm using the 1118 champ. yeast in my cyser right now and it still has a nice up front sweetness but a dry finish which i'm finding very nice. that one had alot more honey in it than this one does though(15lbs) and about 10lbs of gala apples. i'm pretty pleased with how its turning out, its just now finishing up, bubbles are slowing so its about time to start aging it. i'll let that one sit in the carboy for about 3-4 months before bottling it. i'm going for a still cyser, i think i'll be going still with most of my meads. i might make a simple one to have on tap thats carb'd once i get more kegs.

Back