Best way to fix these???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyant20

Reaction score
These came into my work today. Double wall stainless tanks with two bullet holes in them. What would be the best way to fix the the holes so they can be used as either boil kettles or mash tuns?? Any ideas?

image-3078496227.jpg

image-1413642017.jpg

I love how idiots drive around and shoot things. I was contracting at a glass company and the local gangster wannabes like to shoot the hydrogen tanks.

They were from a home health company. They were oxygen tanks they shot them because they wanted to make sure they were empty. I was upset when i saw they were shot up

You could also silver solder a patch over the hole for use as a kettle.

I believe you, however I have no experience at all with silver solder and it's strength or heat resistance.

I did just look and it says the melting point is over 400° so it should be good there.

Welding is stronger, if you need to hold pressure, but a silver solder patch is plenty strong for a kettle or MT, the benefit of SS is you only need a propane torch rather than a sophisticated welding rig and the experience running it...JMO, cheers!

If you can weld stainless, great! Silver solder is simple and within the reach of a DIY repair for cheap.

Back