DOH! My helper pitched a packet of 1187 into hot wort!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irrenarzt

Professional Homebrewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was cleaning last nights mess this morning and at the same time I was prepping a 2000 mL starter. I had my helper transfer the wort to an Ernlenmeyer flask and put it on the stirplate to cool but in his infinite wisdom, he dediced to pitch the packet while the wort was still hot, how hot I do not know. I asked him if he took a measurement of the temp before hie pitched and he did not. I quickly put the flask under the hose and then an ice bath but I fear it is too late. I know it's a bit vague not knowing the temp of the wort but is there a chance this will survive?

I'm gonna let it spin for a few days and see what happens but I'm pretty much resigned to kicking down for a new packet this next weekend...

Hey, you never know, but I would not wait. The longer it sits with no activity, the greater the chance for infection.

A while back, a guy in a similar situation posted something about using bread yeast and it got him a decent beer.

I'm not saying...I'm just saying...

Back