ordering grain online??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davis119

Reaction score
I usually get my grain from my LHBS. But im going to order this round online. Will it come in seperate bags? My LHBS crushes it and throws it all in one..Ill probably order from northern brewer unless some one else has a better place.... (midwest, austin,ect)

I've ordered from Midwest a number of times and it always comes in separate bags. I believe you'll get a similar experience with any of the major online stores.

I can only speak for Austin, they will throw it all in one bag or put it in seperate bags, the choice is up to you.

NB - it will be mixed. They are very good about keeping kits separate but all the grains for each kit will be mixed. I have ordered 5 kits and have had great results with every one. I have hit my og every time with in 002.

I've ordered from Brewmasters Warehouse a few times. Great site. If you order as a recipe, you'll get one big bag. If you just add separate grains to your cart and checkout, you'll get individual bags.

Yeah im not getting a kit. So I need it to be separate. Because some I wont need the whole # ..... so it seems like it will come separate from most places.
thanks

A quick call or email to customer services will usually resolve any question you may have like that. You can also either let them mill it or you can do it youself too. Fresh uncracked grain stores longer than milled. Milled is pretty convenient if your planning to boil right away though. Why are you leaving you local shop? If it is a personell or price issue it might behoove you to discuss it with the owner or manager, if it's a quality or freshness issue that too can usually be resolved at the local level. The reason I always say resolve issues is because if you dont support you local they wont be there on a Saturday when you need that bung stopper or replacement hydrometer for the one you just dropped while doing a boil. Another thing to consider is that the locals grain price may be a bit higher than the net, but youre not paying freight either. Add up the freight price on a couple of 50 Lb sacks and misc small bags of specialty and I will bet the local can get pretty close to or beat the web price if your a valued customer. I never walk into my local without dropping cash. May be something major or minor, but everytime they see me they know they are going to make a sale. They always treat me well and are helpfull even if it's only 5 bucks today. Just my .02, but I have seen too many great businesses go away due to the net.
Bob

If it's not a kit, you're going to get each grain separately. Otherwise, they wouldn't be able to prove they sent you what you ordered. Some places (like AHS) give you the option to have grains bagged together, but the default is typically separate.

@ rbeckett

Mostly because I was going to get a wort chiller and they are much cheaper online. And 2nd selection. But your right ill probably stick with them. They have 2 store maybe ill take the hour drive and check out their bigger store. Im not buying in bulk because I don't have a mill. But thanks for the reply ill try to support my LHBS. Again

Yeah im not getting a kit. So I need it to be separate. Because some I wont need the whole # ..... so it seems like it will come separate from most places.
thanks

I'm sure others do as well, but Austin, and Brew Masters Warehouse let you order by the oz on specialty grains. I started to order from NB last week just to give them a try and switched back to Austin when I saw you couldn't order by the oz.

Also both Austin and Brew Masters, will let you specifiy multiple grain bills, and put grains into which bill you want, or to leave them seperate.

Back