Idophor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
billhauser said:
What is the proper way to use Idophor? The lable directions are kind of vague to me.
Use 1/10th ounce per gallon water for 12.5 ppm sanitizing solution. I use one cap full for a carboy full of water. Temp of the water doesn't matter. Be sure to stir and I let it soak while I brew. I drain it and let dry while I'm chillin'.

Wild

If you can handle measuring iodophor in mililters, that's a little easier than dealing with teaspoons or fractions of an ounce.

5 gallons water --> 15 ml iodophor

therefore:

1 gallon water --> 3 ml

Great article, abra. Thanks.

I still get amused when I read about the danger of scratches in plastic. What exactly is scratching it? Are teenage yeast carving their initials into it? Are people cleaning the walls of their buckets with brillo pads? Did someone use an ice-scraper to remove yeast?

Furthermore, we never hear about the problems with glass. All that lifting and jostling must certainly create fissures and cracks.

wild said:
Use 1/10th ounce per gallon water for 12.5 ppm sanitizing solution. I use one cap full for a carboy full of water. Temp of the water doesn't matter. Be sure to stir and I let it soak while I brew. I drain it and let dry while I'm chillin'.

Wild

Two capfuls per 5 gallons is 12.5PPM, the recommended concnetration for no-rinse.

The Bay Area Mashers link is the best resource I've found on Iodophor.

Cheesefood said:
Great article, abra. Thanks.

I still get amused when I read about the danger of scratches in plastic. What exactly is scratching it? Are teenage yeast carving their initials into it? Are people cleaning the walls of their buckets with brillo pads? Did someone use an ice-scraper to remove yeast?

Furthermore, we never hear about the problems with glass. All that lifting and jostling must certainly create fissures and cracks.

Three Grolsch bottles being broken while stored in the plastic bucket during an 800 mile move tends to cause a few scratches.

evanmars said:
Three Grolsch bottles being broken while stored in the plastic bucket during an 800 mile move tends to cause a few scratches.

That beer get infected yet, Evan?

I'm going to Hennessy this afternoon, I need to pick myself up a second bucket for this weekend (since I don't want to rack the ESB after only five days); you want me pick you up one, too. DAMN, the bucket of yours was f*ckered :D

I think I may want to replace that bucket :eek: .

I need that, a couple of grommets or plugs for the airlock hole, a couple of 3-piece airlocks, maybe another bucket...:D

That article is very interseting. I have always rinsed off after using iodophor and I have shot for 25 ppm. From now on I will try to make that bottle last longer by not filling the carboy all the way up (and swirling), going for 12.5 ppm and also forget about rinsing.

Thanks to both who posted it.

- magno

Back