Drying wort chiller tubing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tslugmo

Reaction score
I have an immersion chiller and I noticed that the tubing doesn't dry very well. In fact, there are a few small dots of what looks like mold forming on the inside of the tubes. I've searched a bit but haven't found what looks to be a great cleaning, and particularly drying regimen. What do you guys do, and do you have problems with mold?

Thanks,
tslugmo

I just blow on one end with the tubing upside down, it clears it out and since the inside won't touch wort ever, no big deal. I guess depending on how worried or picky you are with your equip. I'd say either blow it out with an air hose at a high psi, or just drain it then throw it into some boiling water to release moisture as steam and then blow it out????

I hang mine upside down, which drains any remaining water left in the tubing.

Don't worry about what's on the inside of the IC tubing. It doesn't come in contact with your wort or anything like that. That being said, it doesn't hurt to drain as much water out of it when your done for the day. I make sure to rinse the outside of my IC and scrub off any hop or break chunks. When you place it into your boiling wort for the last 5 or 10 minutes of the boil, it gets sanitized.

The absolute best way to dry out your IC is by using an air compressor. This of course assumes that you HAVE an air compressor. Use a trigger blow-nozzle (the kind barbers use with the rubber tip, about $7.50). The rubber nozzle fits right into the drain tubing. Just blow away untill everthing is dry. Takes about 30 seconds.

Yet one more reason to own your own air compressor. Mine is a Sears tree gallon jobbie that costs $99.99 and comes with a bunch of accessories.

Pez.

Don't worry about what's on the inside of the IC tubing. It doesn't come in contact with your wort or anything like that. That being said, it doesn't hurt to drain as much water out of it when your done for the day. I make sure to rinse the outside of my IC and scrub off any hop or break chunks. When you place it into your boiling wort for the last 5 or 10 minutes of the boil, it gets sanitized.

+1 you can hang it or blow the water out but it's not that important.

To get rid of the mold in your chiller fill your mash tun with a star san solution and run it through the chiller. If left unchecked mold will continue to grow and eventually impede the water flow in the chiller. Soaking the chiller in a dilute vinegar solution will clean up the outside of the chiller.

Back