using medical oxygen to aerate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jereme

Reaction score
in doing research to start my first batch i came across a gentleman called "bobbyj" or something like that who seems to have his ****down when it comes to brewing. his videos are on youtube. one thing he had shown to do, which he said was not necessary, but he does anyway to help the yeast along is run 100% medical grade oxygen into the bottom of his primary fermenter for about a minute or two to aerate his wort. i'm just kinda looking for comments on this subject to find out more about it and if more advanced brewers use this process.
thanks

No reason why you couldn't... but I don't have a supply of medical grade oxygen, nor the cash to afford such.

Besides, air is ~21% oxygen as it is... I make sure my funnel splashes well when I take my wort from the boiling pot to the carboy / demijohn.

Well I guess I'm an advanced brewer as I am 64 years old. :)
Aerating wort prior to fermentation is good.
You can do this by splashing the wort around, shaking the carboy/bucket, using an aquarium pump, or adding oxygen.
Using oxygen is the fastest way to do it, but most who do this use welding grade O2 rather than medical grade.
I've never heard of any problems using the welding grade O2 (or C02), both of which I use regularly.

-a.

Running the welding grade O2 through the stone and filter works great, and it's cheap. I have gotten 6-7 batches out of 1 bottle. Fairly cost efficient.

Running the welding grade O2 through the stone and filter works great, and it's cheap. I have gotten 6-7 batches out of 1 bottle. Fairly cost efficient.

A few months ago I was given 7 full medical O2 bottles and a regulator. I have used it on the last 5 batches with a fish aquarium aeration stone. It is working great. Just run it on a low setting for a minute or so. Make sure you sanitize the stone and tubing. After 5 batches we have barely used any O2 from the first tank.

Since refilling requires an Rx script, using it if you have it is great, but getting it refilled is expensive and requires the script. There are hundreds of used O2 cylinders available at any time on e-bay and CL, but even if you get it cheap, it is still only a temporary set-up.

O2 from Home Depot is about 8 bucks, get two so you aren't stranded when the first one dies. I got the Oxynator from Ed at Brew Masters Warehouse.;)

I think the OP is talking about me. In any case, I was given the medical tank for free so that's obviously what I use. I've used it for 2 years now and it still has gas. When it runs out, I'll sell the tank and reg if I can't get the local airgas joint to refill it for me.

Join your local rescue squad then you can refill for free...:) I am a paramedic, I have been using 4 lpm for five minutes and have really noticed a difference

Since refilling requires an Rx script, using it if you have it is great, but getting it refilled is expensive and requires the script. There are hundreds of used O2 cylinders available at any time on e-bay and CL, but even if you get it cheap, it is still only a temporary set-up.

Well, I got 7 full tanks so that should last long after the cirrhosis of the liver has taken me out.:mug:

I'm about to run out of my 10# medical O2 and plan to swap out to a comparable welding O2 tank. I also have 2 5# medical tanks all with regs to swap to a 5# mixed gas, and 5# Nitro.

I am going to look at a Respironics Millennium™ oxygen Concentrator 10 LPM tonight after work. The specs say 10-30 psi operating pressure I don't know if thats enough for the aeration stone but for 100$ I will chance it. If it works then I wont have to buy O2 anymore

This is the unit

respmillenium.jpg

its like 1400$ and its about a year old . The guy I spoke with today said his MIL was a chain smoker and well you know the rest .

My SWMBO has CPAP machine she does not use anymore since she got a new fangled mouthpiece thingy. It just blows pressurized air. Wonder if that could be used to aerate? Damn thing cost a bunch new and there does not seem to be a used market on them.

There's not much of a filter on the CPAP.
Do you know how to adjust the pressure on it?

I'm sure my wife knows how to adjust the pressure. She used it for 2 years. It does have a pretty good filter system. Much better than you would have with just an aquarium air pump. But I don't plan on using it to aerate. I was just thinking out loud. I have the 7 O2 tanks to use up first.

I'm sure my wife knows how to adjust the pressure. She used it for 2 years. It does have a pretty good filter system. Much better than you would have with just an aquarium air pump. But I don't plan on using it to aerate. I was just thinking out loud. I have the 7 O2 tanks to use up first.
I've had mine for about 10 years and hear they're getting a lot smaller.

How much does a medical o2 regulator cost? I could probably get the o2 for free from work.

Back