Dog Fish Head Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that's my bad.. i meant to say 120 minute IPA....

I've not had any luck finding it..

there are some all grain recipes out there for it.. it's nearly 19% abv...

it's a delicious beer.. but one is enough :)

apparently it's a 120 minute boil, adding hops/grains/fermentables and removing about every 5 minutes.. a very had beer to make... but I'd love to give it a try if there was an extract recipe out there....

Sirsloop did this not to long ago. I would warn against this unless your very comfortable with your brewing procedures. If this batch gets infected then your done for and with all the additions of sugar there is substantial risk. With a beer like this timing is crucial. You need to add the right sugar at the right time as to not shock the yeast. You would also need to make a HUGE yeast starter of that i think 099 or whatever that extreem stuff is. And i don't want to be the guy to say this but i think if your using all extract you might finish WAY too sweet. extract beers historicaly finish higher than you can get their all grain counterparts. I would say try it but it's a very challanging process that should be researched and planned out before execution. Here is a very awesome thread about making one that worked out really well. There are some lessons in here. GOOD LUCK!!!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/1-200-20-120-minute-iipa-100549/index19.html

for yeast i'm goign to do the 60 minute IPA and use the yeast cake from that to get the 120 min IPA going..

it'll be tough.. but well worth it..

I figure i can make it for around $50/$60 for a 5gal batch.. maybe a little more..

but at $7-9 per bottle... that's a substantial savings..

Well it's not the inital yeast pitch that is tricky. It's the 099 that you need in order to get the attenuation and alcohol you're looking for. I think the guy who did this oxygenated every time he pitched sugar into the wort.

OH YEA.. I'm sure he had to otherwise it would taste like kool-aid...

very difficult brew, but if you can pull it off.... man... what a beer!!

Thread bump. I wont oxygenating after alcohol has developed produce an oxygenated off-flavor?

Back