dark sludge on the bottom of bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolffm25

Reaction score
Its been a week since I bottled my first batch of brew and I just noticed a thin layer of a dark muddy substance at the bottom of my bottles. When i siphoning i didnt notice any sediment flowing thru the tub. Will the sludge disolve or is my beer ruined? thanks

That's yeast sediment. Yeast still in your beer is finishing up eating the sugar you primed with, and is taking a nap at the bottom of your bottle. That's good. That means your brew isn't some pasteurized, dead piss like bud lite. It's alive and fresh and getting better with each moment.

Yep, just dormant yeast. It's usually a lighter color but perhaps it's your strain. In some beers like Hefeweizen it is often desireable to mix this with the beer, imparting a hazy, bready taste.
Like Marcus said if you drink the sediment it will cause gas. It's also a natural laxative and is high in vitamin B12 - which will help with a hangover if you should drink a few six packs.

Back