Grain Mill, which one?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

auto

ARC Brewing
Reaction score
Getting ready to be fully functional on the all grain front. Would like to keep the price under $200. Suggestions, pros ,cons?

The barley crusher seems to have the best reputation, and I think you can get it for $119. The one with the larger hopper is $139.

I love my Barley Crusher, but don't rely on the hash marks on the adjustment dials. If you get any one of the adjustable mills be sure you have a set of feeler gauges to check and set the roller gap.

I believed the instructions for the BC, and I went from ~70% efficiency to ~59% on the last batch because I trusted what I read. I'm keeping a set of gauges with my BC now.

Other than that it's an awesome mill for the $$, but then again it's the only mill I've ever owned. I have used the Corona type mill from my LHBS to grind steeping grains, back before I went AG, and it worked OK, but if you've got the money I'd suggest getting a roller type mill.

I went with a crankandstein since it is about half the price of a barley crusher. Also I was able to make the hopper the way I wanted it.

You got a Crankandstein for $60! Holy cow, I missed that special.

I've never heard of anybody who had a roller mill, and wasn't satisfied with it.
I have a non-adjustable Schmidling mill, and it works great.

-a.

I went with a crankandstein since it is about half the price of a barley crusher.

That's a little misleading, since the BC is ready to go out of the box with a hopper, base and handcrank. Those will set you back another $55 from Crankandstein.

I also don't like the sound of "removing, turning and locking eccentric bearings" to adjust the gap.

It does look like a nice product though, if I were custom building a milling station (rather than a small, portable/stowable mill) I'd give them a good look.

Another vote for the Barley Crusher, this thing is awesome and ready to go out of the box and fits perfect on a 5 gallon bucket.

I have the Crankandstein two roller mill with base, hopper, and handle. It was a package deal they were offering when I bought it about a year and a half ago. I don't recall what it cost, but I believe it was about the same as the Barley Crusher, maybe a few bucks more. My Crankandstein is a great mill.

I think all the major grain mills are excellent, and you can't really go wrong with any of them.

I am one of the only people I know who has a barley crusher and is not thrilled about it. Using the LHBS mill I was in the high 70's efficiency wise and after getting the BC I am down to around 73%. I am going to adjust the gap and see where I get, but so far that was a dissapointment. I expected to go up. Also, I had a weird problem last Saturday where it kept messing up. I was grinding and grinding and then something would happen. It was like a gear would come loose or something. The handle would turn but there was no resistance, so I dont think the rollers were turning. I never found out because after I dumped the grain out it was working fine again. This happened probably 20 times on Saturday, it was a very frustrating experience.

However, I have to imagine that I am just unlucky. So many people have used it successfully that I would imagine that more times than not it is a very good product.

FWIW, the best mill I personally have ever used is the Schmidling.

Back