Buffer 5.2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewjunky

Reaction score
I was wondering if I use reverse osmosis water and add the buffer 5.2 will that bring PH to my water?

It says that it will change the PH no matter what it is to 5.2 but I'm wondering say you are using RO water will that bring the proper PH to it?

A buffer is going to resist a change in pH. I haven't used this Buffer 5.2 but have seen it at my LHBS. A buffer will resist a change in pH up to a certain point, assuming you are adding either more acid/base to adjust the pH. In brewing, obviously you aren't adding more to adjust, so from what I have seen, it will adjust your pH to the proper brewing level. I'm going to say that it will bring the pH of your water to the proper level by using what the manufacturer states in the directions.

I just listened to the basic brew radio episode on this and they said that if you are on the extremes with your water, it won't bring it to 5.2. You can't expect it to work for all situations. You can try with the RO and see what happens.

Even if it does bring your mash to the proper pH, I am not sure RO water is the best choice for brewing. There are minerals in tap water that the yeast need, calcium for example. I am pretty sure that there is not any calcium in the 5.2 and not much from the grain. I would stick with good tasting tap or spring water.

+1 on not using straight RO. If RO i's your only option, then you can add calcium, calcium carbide, gypsum, Burton water salts, etc. to try to replicate water from certain locations (London, Vienna, etc.).

I agree, I would go with the bottled spring water you can get at the supermarket. It's the same price, and has a better water quality for brewing.

If you use a carbon filter and 5.2 stabilizer then you should be OK. The carbon filter removes chlorine and taste problems and the 5.2 treats the PH. I use PH test strips to be sure.

My idea was to use RO water then add salts to clone certain water types.

Morebeer has water salts that are pre-mixed to clone different water types around the world so that was my initial idea.

yeah I would not use RO with out the salts.

I think RO is the best choice to use if you want to add salts back in. I do it all the time and you can build any water profile you want. I would suggest you download John Plamers free spreadsheet and it will help you with minerals and getting your RA inline.

IF you use RO and salts, I am not sure what you need the Buffer 5.2 for. You should be able to adjusted your ph with salts.

IF you use RO and salts, I am not sure what you need the Buffer 5.2 for. You should be able to adjusted your ph with salts.

I'm no water expert by any means. I'm just wondering about the acidity because on the morebeer website it says that you have to adjust the acidity level after using the brewing salts.

I just figured that maybe that salts possibly throw the PH off and may need to be adjusted.

5.2 is great it automatically keeps it at 5.2 without much thinking, I use it every time, but we do have soft water where I am, so I can't say much for those of you using well water or other types of heavy water.

Ray Daniels' book gives an equation on how to predict mash ph based on ppm. You can use brewing software to see what these ppm values will be after you add the salts. Palmer also has a spreadsheet that will do the same I think.

Back