A little longer I think in the primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zacster

Reaction score
My nut brown ale has been in the primary for 10 days and I think it still needs more time. It started at 1.060 and was at 1.018 on Thursday and now is at 1.016 on Sunday. Color is good, clarity is OK, the residual sweetness on Thursday has lessened, and I figure at least another 3-4 days, but that'll put me close to the weekend anyway, so another week. I'll have yet another kit by then, an ESB, so I'll be anxious to move this one into the secondary.

So far so good. And the weather has cooperated for my lager, it hasn't been warm outside yet so it is staying below 40 all day in the carboy, with some ice bottles added every now and then to the new garbage cans I'm using. The forecast for Tuesday is 70, so I'll have to keep adding ice all day. If I can't keep up with the ice, maybe I'll bottle it and let it lager in the fridge, or maybe I need one of those 50gal coolers which will hold the ice better.

My brew has been in the primary for 4 weeks now. I am trying to see whether putting in longer will have any good or bad effect on the final beer taste. Going to bottle in this weekend. But from what I have read, it should be okay.

Back