airlock keeps popping off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZWyatt

Reaction score
I recently switched to my glass carboys as a unitank in order to avoid contamination during transfer (I've had a lot of suspect batches). So now I'm noticing that, after sanitizing the carboy with StarSan, the hole is rather slippery and any internal pressure, be it from the foam of the freshly-poured wort or the pressure from yeast activity, pushes the dang carboy cap and airlock out! I'm sure many have experienced this problem and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on how to prevent this from happening.

I use a clean paper towel to dry off both the carboy and the bung, or else I wait until the carboy is about dry. A wet stopper in a wet carboy will never stay put!

get one of these: http://morebeer.com/view_product/16655/

2532.jpg

they work MUCH better! :mug:

c.n.budz said:
+1

Those are exactly what I use, never had any problems with them popping out

Those are exactly what I use too, and I still have problems with them popping out.

I want to by one of those special bungs everyone listed. But I have had the same problem, you need to have both the bung and carboy dry... However, I have found if I muscle the C*&P out of the bung and jam it as far as I can, it will stay with a little fussing.

Good luck.

sittingturbo said:
I have found if I muscle the C*&P out of the bung and jam it as far as I can, it will stay with a little fussing.

Then have fun getting it out when the time comes, without pushing it into your beer... :p

I just wipe everything dry, if I really want it to stay wipe with vodka.

If thats too much hassle get one of these, they work wet or dry.

carboy-caps.jpg

Back