Interesting German Brewing PDF

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cold side question: What levels of DO did you guys measure when you allowed the wort to ferment out, add a sugar solution (boiled water + corn sugar) back to fermenter, let fermentation re-start, then transfer to a purged keg for spunding?

Good question. I never measured but probably should have.

Cold side question: What levels of DO did you guys measure when you allowed the wort to ferment out, add a sugar solution (boiled water + corn sugar) back to fermenter, let fermentation re-start, then transfer to a purged keg for spunding?

Just asking, because the FFT doesn't seem to be my thing.

I would imagine the difference between the two methods, assuming you boiled the water completely, would be minimal. The biggest potential issue being tightening up your transfer and filling methods. Purged kegs and hoses, sending gas out of keg back into the fermentor as a closed loop or pushing with co2, etc. Just my .02

Just asking, because the FFT doesn't seem to be my thing.

I've done this with all my ales and the results speak very favorably. Usually works well with my schedule too as i like to brew and keg on weekends if possible. Ales are usually DDFD for me in no more than 6 days.

Recent examples:

1. An IPA that was still 95% awesome at over 5 months. I cracked the lid open at 1.020 and dry hopped for a few days while it went to FG. I injected the priming solution via the PRV under positive pressure about an hour before racking to the serving keg. Transfer was done closed loop.

2. An oatmeal stout that was still 100% fresh at almost 9 months.

The key steps here are to keep the beer in primary no longer than it takes to reach FG, add the priming sugar before racking with positive co2 pressure, wait to see activity, rack under closed loop.

I injected the priming solution via the PRV under positive pressure about an hour before racking to the serving keg.

Could you elaborate on your method? So you have a pressurized container of priming solution that you are somehow attaching to the pressure release valve on the keg lid, and transferring without opening it to atmosphere?

Could you elaborate on your method? So you have a pressurized container of priming solution that you are somehow attaching to the pressure release valve on the keg lid, and transferring without opening it to atmosphere?

Not mine originally... I just know a good one when I see it...

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1503890066.666613.jpg

Make priming solution, rapidly chill, connect a few lb co2 to FV, draw up dose of liquid, unscrew PRV, inject, screw PRV back in.

Not mine originally... I just know a good one when I see it...

View attachment 412114

Make priming solution, rapidly chill, connect a few lb co2 to FV, draw up dose of liquid, unscrew PRV, inject, screw PRV back in.

Where'd you get a syringe like that. Would make a great gelatin solution injector as well.

Brew on :mug:

Amazon. Got a 3 pack shipped for like $10.

Can't use it to inject gelatin. This is a low ox thread :)

Nothing to do with RHG.

More to do with potential for introducing O2.

May be possible. I don't use the stuff.

Really no need to use finings in a lager since lagers by definition, are supposed to lager. Lagering takes time. Time and cold = clear beer.
Time works equally well on Ales.

It shouldn't take more than 1-2 weeks of cold conditioning to produce very clear beer, without using any cold-side finings. The only exception here is if you are using a very low flocculating yeast.

If it takes your beer more than 1 or 2 weeks to drop clear, even when using a yeast like 2124, you should 1) try to get clearer wort into the fermenter with more complete cold and hot break removal and 2) make sure you're not overlooking any fermentation or yeast health issues.

Using most of the commonly available lager yeasts, e.g. 2124 or 2206 or similar, you should be able to go grain to glass with very clear beer in 21 days.

Really no need to use finings in a lager since lagers by definition, are supposed to lager. Lagering takes time. Time and cold = clear beer.
Time works equally well on Ales.

I prefer to have a one month long pipeline vs. a three month long one, so I will continue to fine my less hoppy beers. I also do a fast lager process when fermenting lagers, and burst carbonate my kegs. My senses of taste and smell are compromised by sinus issues, so flavor subtleties are lost on me anyway. I do try to keep improving my cold side O2 control.

ps. Love your sig line.

TBH a lot of this doesn't seem very scientific. Like how does a lid being partially on during boil limit O2 contact? Not that I'm saying the general principles aren't correct. I definitely wouldn't go adding that much sulphite to non lagers though. I will try this at some point. Definitely found huge improvements in hoppy stuff by going manic on post ferm O2 elimination.

TBH a lot of this doesn't seem very scientific. Like how does a lid being partially on during boil limit O2 contact?

You're correct, it doesn't. But that isn't the intent. What a partially-on lid does do is allow you to greatly reduced your boil off by reducing the amount of heat input needed to maintain a boil. We're shooting for 6-8% boil off rates of the starting volume. This reduces thermal stress on the wort.

For more information you might mosey over to ********************.

I prefer to have a one month long pipeline vs. a three month long one, so I will continue to fine my less hoppy beers. I also do a fast lager process when fermenting lagers, and burst carbonate my kegs. My senses of taste and smell are compromised by sinus issues, so flavor subtleties are lost on me anyway. I do try to keep improving my cold side O2 control.

ps. Love your sig line.
I seen this on the morebeer site, seem like it might work for adding gelatin.
https://www.morebeer.com/products/brewkeg-dosing-device.html

I think you might be able to do the same thing with a small soda bottle with a carbonation cap and two disconnects.

I think you might be able to do the same thing with a small soda bottle with a carbonation cap and two disconnects.

It's definitely possible to inject stuff into a pressurized keg using a soda bottle with a carbonation cap and two disconnects. I've done it a few times. You just overpressurize the soda bottle, so if your keg is at 12psi, have the soda bottle be at 20 or something.
The only problem I'm aware of is that you'll be introducing some O2.

gelatin fining is incompatible with low oxygen methods because you are introducing oxygen to finished wort when you do it.

besides, there are other ways to achieve crystal clear wort.

I’m not doing strict LoDo, but following most post-boil recommended practices. I don’t usually use gelatin if I can avoid it, but when I do, I’ve used a large 100ml syringe to inject it through the PRV of the keg while keeping low CO2 pressure (2-3psi) going through the gas in post.

I’m not doing strict LoDo, but following most post-boil recommended practices. I don’t usually use gelatin if I can avoid it, but when I do, I’ve used a large 100ml syringe to inject it through the PRV of the keg while keeping low CO2 pressure (2-3psi) going through the gas in post.
That's the exact same method that I have settled on.

That's the exact same method that I have settled on.

Interesting thought: boil water, dissolve gelatin while cooling some under a CO2 blanket to prevent O2 uptake, then transfer to the syringe to further seal out O2 before injection. I'd love to see how well that procedure would prevent O2 uptake. I cooled under a CO2 blanket when adding priming sugar last time with that thought in mind, but I hadn't thought about the big syringe from the O2 perspective, only as a delivery device

When I do use finings, I've done the soda bottle method and purge both the bottle and the jumpers like hell. I also boil and cool the water to reduce o2 in the water.

It definitely introduces SOME oxygen but nothing that I've been able to notice

gelatin fining is incompatible with low oxygen methods because you are introducing oxygen to finished wort when you do it.

besides, there are other ways to achieve crystal clear wort.

Plus gelatin coats my teeth. I do not use it ever. One of those things I’ve tried and didn’t like. Just me I guess.

The best deterrent for the use of gelatin is to heat some up in a covered container then uncover and smell the aroma coming from the jar.

I have become a little more patient after I got a good whiff once. Smell like what is stuck in cow hooves.

Latest posts

Back