!st lagar batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luv2brew

Reaction score
I'm thrilled to find this forum where we can talk about the thing we love.
A question for more experienced brewers then myself. I found a receipe for Octoberfest Lagar but no specifications for fermenting primary or secondary.The batch of lagar is in nice primary ferment now at a steady 52-54 deg F( maybe a little higher then ideal),I still have activity in the bubbler after 7 days, I havent taken a secondary gravity yet, Question... Should I Rack to a secondary ferment now..later... or not at all ,and would the secondary be at a colder temp??

Lagers are typically fermented at around 50F for as long as it takes to get the gravity down to finishing value. Don't be surpised if it takes 2-3 weeks. You can rack to the secondary at the end of fermentation.

After that, some people bring the beer up to 60-65F for a day or two for a diacetyl rest.

The next step is to slowly take the beer down to around freezing (or just below if your fridge can do it ) and let it sit for a few months. This step is the 'lagering' process.

After that you bottle or keg same as any other beer.

yep, it will take at least 2 weeks to ferment out. then raise the temp to the mid sixties for 2-3 days for a diacetyl rest, then rack to secondary. lower the temp 2-5 degrees a day until you reach 30-32 degrees. allow it to lager for a minimum of 4 weeks. an octoberfest may not need to lager as long as a bock or doppelbock. but, the longer the better, but no longer than, say six months.
i've read where some rack to secondary when it's about 80-90% attenuated, then once fermented out, then do the diacetyl rest at mid-60's, then rack again for lagering. just don't drop the temp from 60 to 32 too fast. a gradual drop is better for the flavor of the brew.

Mikey said:
Lagers are typically fermented at around 50F for as long as it takes to get the gravity down to finishing value. Don't be surpised if it takes 2-3 weeks. You can rack to the secondary at the end of fermentation.

After that, some people bring the beer up to 60-65F for a day or two for a diacetyl rest.

The next step is to slowly take the beer down to around freezing (or just below if your fridge can do it ) and let it sit for a few months. This step is the 'lagering' process.

After that you bottle or keg same as any other beer.

Thanks !!!!that was what I was looking for.

Back