Starting my E-Herms build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newtstampede

Reaction score
Took the plunge and started the process of ordering all the parts for my E brewery build. Took a little from Kal and did a bunch of research, found the wiring schematic im going to use from PJ, planned, priced, and everything is ordered.

Should have some fittings and pumps from Brewhardware, bunch of stuff from Amazon, McMaster Carr, and the panel and controls from Auber.

Ran into one slight problem.....The new fedex guy decided to leave the package from Auber outside my door in a shared apartment stairwell, instead of leaving it at the apartment office. That didnt last the 2 hours from the time it was delivered to the time I got home from work. Now i have all these parts and I am missing the brain to put it all together.

I will keep this updated as everything progresses.....hopefully a little smoother once I get this part sorted out.

Just picked up the order from Brewers Hardware and a few from amazon. I should have all my fittings and I cant start with the most gut wrenching part....Punching holes in my Blichmann kettles.

Still waiting on hearing back from FedEx and Auber on the stolen box. They said I will have to wait for another few more days for them to investigate due to the snowstorm.

photo.jpg

More stuff came in the mail today :D
Also talked to FedEx again, they have decided that the package is lost and will be working with Auber to send out another box. This time with signature confirmation!
Still waiting on a few more pieces to come in before I can finally start my build.

photo.jpg

Another update from Auber...
Hi Michael,

After talking to the manager, here is our proposal: we can reship you everything at cost of $73 in total (this includes our share of the loss and cost of the items without any profit from the original order). I just sent you an invoice, which you can pay directly online with credit card or paypal account. Please let me know if this works for you.

This is after that FedEx had approved a claim between them for the replacement cost of the items plus shipping. I know a few of you guys on here deal with Fedex often enough. Does this sound a bit sketchy?

I am almost tempted to call my bank and put in a claim with them against the original order and look somewhere else for these parts.

Please tread easy and don't go overboard. Please. I do not think that Auber Instruments is getting the full story about the situation. I firmly believe that they are offering a compromise deal so that you can get your parts not knowing the story of what happened.

Once this whole thing is ironed out with the Fedex claim, they should be contacting Auber on your behalf for a full reorder. Fedex screwed up - Not you and Not Auber Instruments.

I also live in an apartment complex. Some deliveries can be a real nightmare. The US Post Office certainly knows how to handle mail that cannot be personally delivered. All bets are off on a lot of other vendors.

Just saying...

Another update from Auber...

This is after that FedEx had approved a claim between them for the replacement cost of the items plus shipping. I know a few of you guys on here deal with Fedex often enough. Does this sound a bit sketchy?

I am almost tempted to call my bank and put in a claim with them against the original order and look somewhere else for these parts.

You shouldn't have to pay a dime extra in my opinion. If you paid with a credit card just call them up and tell them to cancel payment. I'm going to be placing a large order with Auber soon and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Good luck in getting this resolved.

By the way, You might want to call the owner of Auber Instruments and talk it out with him.

Suyi Liu
Auber Instruments
www.auberins.com
770-569-8420

He is a very knowageble business man and will do what ever it takes to help. He just needs to fully understand what happened and that Fedex is responsible. They messed up.!!

By the way, You might want to call the owner of Auber Instruments and talk it out with him.

Suyi Liu
Auber Instruments
www.auberins.com
770-569-8420

He is a very knowageble business man and will do what ever it takes to help. He just needs to fully understand what happened and that Fedex is responsible. They messed up.!!

Thanks PJ. They are getting ahold of Fedex and finding out the details regarding a claim and will get back to me. I will update as this continues to unfold. Right now im trying to figure out how to rig up a wireless security camera through the peephole in the door to catch the person in the act. I have a few rather large orders getting ready to ship.

Thanks PJ. They are getting ahold of Fedex and finding out the details regarding a claim and will get back to me. I will update as this continues to unfold. Right now im trying to figure out how to rig up a wireless security camera through the peephole in the door to catch the person in the act. I have a few rather large orders getting ready to ship.
You are very welcome. I've been dealing with Auberins for many years. IMHO? They are outstanding.!

Great idea for the camera. I like it. Just mount it high pointing down to your entry area. (Or low and way off to the side so that it's not very noticeable.

Ha - but - then the b'tards will steal the camera.. (Anyway, that would be my luck.)

Wishing you the very best.

Paul

Got it mounted. I don't care if they steal the camera, my computer is the place where the video is being stored. Maybe I can rely on my guard dog (see below) to scare him off......or maybe trick him into petting the cute puppy until i get home.

photo (1).jpg

This has been an absolute headache to deal with Auber. If you order from them be damn sure that you will be there to sign for the package. I understand that this is FedEx's problem, but they will only deal with the original shipper. They have to be the one to file a claim and Auber has not been helpful in the slightest regard...well except for offering to reship and having to pay them again.

I am giving them another day to sort out their end before I start a claim with my bank. I really hate to do this but I am sitting here out several hundred dollars while there is nothing else I can really do about it.

In other news, my order from rebelbrewer shipped and will be here tomorrow. I spoke with them and let them know about the situation here so they added signature confirmation to the order. More pictures to come tomorrow.

Still sorting all this out with Auber....

In other news, my orders from Rebelbrewer and Austin came in. I still have another 15 gal due in as well. I'm in the process of building a setup for a friend as well.

photo (2).jpg

The ongoing issue with auber has been resolved. FedEx took responsibility for leaving the package unattended. Auber reshipped with signature confirmation and I will be posting an armed guard in front of the door to sign for it.

In other news, I havent really had much time to work on my set up recently. SWMBO and I have moved into a new place and are working on unpacking while wrangling our new puppy. I will be on leave for the next month though so hopefully I can find some time to work on this.

So far I have a good percentage of the parts required for the build. Just waiting on a few more little things to come in and then make a run to Home Depot for the spa panel and wire.

Progress so far:
HLT - Holes punched for recirculating the hot water. Waiting on compression bulkheads for HERMS coil, need to punch holes for heating element.
MLT - Done. Holes punched, bulkheads installed for sparge hose, false bottom installed.
BK - Done. Holes punched, Whirlpool fitting installed.
Control Panel - Waiting for parts.
Cords - Done. Loom installed and ends installed.
Mill - Done, Need to check gap.
Elements - Need parts from Home Depot run.

photo (5).JPG

photo (6).JPG

photo (4).JPG

photo (7).JPG

Worked on everything the past 2 days. Got the control box built, elements installed, wet tested, looks like we are good to go, just need to get the compression bulkheads for the HERMS coil installed in the HLT (been dragging my feet on ordering it). I need to move some of the switches around, I didn't know that the switch body matched the color of the front. Oh well, eventually i will move those around when I open it back up.

Status as of 31 March:

HLT - Waiting on compression bulkheads for HERMS coil.
MLT - Done.
BK - Done.
Control Panel - Done
Cords - Done.
Mill - Done, Still need to check gap.
Elements - Installed.

photo.jpg

image_3.jpg

image_2.jpg

image_1.jpg

After running the autotune program I noticed that my SSR failed on. I need to run over to the electronics repair place in town and exchange it. Other than that and my own screwup with the switch color, everything is running great!

If i can convince SWMBO to help me out today the inaugural brew will my Delerium clone.

Hi newtstampede, I like how your system is coming along. I am thinking of building one that is extremely similar. Do you happen to have a parts list of everything you've purchased or a wiring diagram for your control box?
Thanks, Kevin

I posted the diagram that I used as a starting point for the control box. I modified a few things here and there to fit my system. Also here are pictures from the Delirium clone brew day. The only issue that we had was when the SSR failed on it ran the burner at 100% nearly causing a boilover.
Overall I spent about $1200 on this build, I dont have a parts list though since I have been stockpiling over deployment, trading with other brewers, selling old stuff to upgrade, and buying parts with other people since I have been building some systems with friends.

Some lessons learned:
-I went with a cheap SSR and heatsink combo which I don't recommend. If you do, make sure they put thermal paste on in.
-The control box that Auber sells is a little on the small side too, kinda had to shoehorn some of the stuff in there. Works for me right now, I will be getting a full panel when I move somewhere a little more permanent.
-Solid wire sucks to work with.
-Greenlee makes some awesome punches, don't cheap out on the tools you need.

Just got my new monster mill put together and working on the crush. The picture is of the factory setting at .45

THIS.jpg

image_3.jpeg

image_4.jpeg

image_5.jpeg

image_1.jpeg

Back