Rhino Farts??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EPS

Reaction score
Ok so i Have been reading about this this mourning. And some say its normal and some vets like yooper say it can be a problem. Let me tell you about it its a hard cider OG of 1.065 and has been fermenting with steady action for 6 days now. Everything has been completely normal up till today no off smells. Well i woke up this mourning walked into the closet i have my fermenters in and it smelt of skunk or rotten eggs in the closet. Question 1 i also have a German Alt beer fermenting in the same closet? Will this smell effect my beer do i need to move my fermenting beer. Second question is this hydrogen sulfide smell dangerous 2 breath in the air? The apple cider is still fermenting bubbling every sec to 2 sec and i can see fermentation happening still in the carboy. Question 3 will this smell fade with time or is my apple cider doomed? The two main things i'm worried about is will this smell effect the beer fermenting and is this smell dangerous to breath? Thanks for any help guys!

RDWHAHB

and repeat after me "Everything is going to be OK"

Normal smell, not going to effect any other beer.

The beer is either fermenting or it's under pressure from the CO2...nothing can get in there. That's what the airlock is for. It's fine.

I'm no scientist, but I think you'd probably need many MANY batches all at peak fermentation (in the closet) to have any adverse heath risks from the CO2. Even then you'd probably need to go inside and close the door behind you, but I still don't think there would be enough produced to knock you out.

The sulfur smell will fade with time. You should be good to go.

Back