Long ferment, how long can it sit in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lost

Reaction score
So this is my first wheat batch (blue moon clone for a friend) and I had my first ever violent ferment (bubbled out of the airlock) and I've brewed more than a couple batches. Anyhow, this sunday will mark the two week mark and, as of now, it's still bubbling away about once per 30 seconds. The krausen still has not fallen though there is a fair bit of trub deposited on the bottom of the carboy. This dang wheat beer is breaking all the rules.

So, I'm heading home for Thanksgiving and won't be back until Sunday and I need to know if I should rack it to a secondary before I leave? I just can't imagine doing it until the krausen falls and I doubt it will by tomorrow morning.. but I also do not want soapy/off tasting beer.. so, how long can it sit on the trub? I've also heard two weeks is the limit though my ferments are all typically done by the 5 day mark at the latest. Maybe I've got some wild yeast in there fermenting away... I just haven't ever experienced this before. I'm currently holding temp at high 60's to 72F (wet towel) and using wyeast east california ale liquid yeast... should I maybe raise the temp to the 75F mark to ensure that the fermentation is over by the time I get back on Sunday? <--I'm thinking that's my best bet but I also don't want cloves or bananas in my beer.

Help.

Just leave it in the primary. It'll be OK. If you can keep the towel wet while you're gone by placing the whole thing in a container of water, that will help to keep the temps down while you're away.

That california ale yeast is a clean fermenting yeast, I wouldn't worry about the clove and banana. It ain't gonna be there.

Back