First extract after many all grain batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milesvdustin

Reaction score
I brewed an extract cream ale from Northern Brewer last night. It was a much shorter process than doing all grain batches. I just did it to get a beer in the keg with a shorter brew day. I hit 1.057 (temp corrected) and the og was supposed to be 1.040. Guess I did pretty good! My wife did most of the process, I think she really enjoyed it more than the long process of all grain. I had a good time with it and it made my house smell awesome! I will certainly be doing more extract batches between all grain for sure! :ban:

I do exactly the same thing from time to time. It can be tough for me to justify 5 hour brew days for every brew day, so an extract batch here and there can really help keep the time spent away from family to a minimum.

And with temp control, pure o2, and full wort boils, I don't feel I miss much.

Its unusual for an extract batch to be off of the OG that much. Did you do a full or partial boil? If partial, it could be a measuring error, due to the difficulty of mixing.

It was partial boil, after I had my full volume in the fermenter. It was well mixed, and now that I think about it it may have been due to hop particles and such in the sample. Either way, it's beer. Not worried about it.

Back