starter on an old abused dry yeast pack?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I have a packet of nottingham yeast that I actually lost last year in the brew shed.. I recently discovered it behind and under some stuff. I need some yeast and the brew shop is an hour away...This stuff has probably been over heated...frozen and everything in between. I did a search and there are reasons to NOT do a starter on dry yeast but in this case I think doing to check viability is prudent....what do you all think?

I would just pitch it. The pack is nitrogen flushed and shelf stable - I don't think anything is wrong with it at all. Have more yeast on standby obviously but I vote for just pitch it.

I just used one that was 10 years old. with good results. I had an active ferment in less than 24 hours. If concerned boil some water and then cool it to about 80 Degrees and see if it foams. I would use it

I was in this situation last year with a Cooper's OS lager can with a yeast packet 2 years old. I made a small starter for it that went some 3.5 hours,& got a nice krausen on it. It worked just fine. Yeasties are tough lil critters.

Yep, I would at least "proof" that yeast, maybe even proof it in a bit of boiled cooled malt extract just to get them jump started. Normally I don't make a starter with dry yeast but with old abused yeast I wouuld just so I can assure viability.

Back