Heady Topper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kaz, great post getting everything together with links and everything. Thanks!! I agree the getting the hops, and the ratio of hops right is going to be the biggest challenge. We have the yeast, it seems that we have a good grasp of fermentation temps, the grain bill is simple enough, but 6 different hops in this hop bomb could be very challenging to dial in. If it turns out that The Alchemist doesn't vary the blend some from batch to batch or year to year, it'll be even harder to get it perfect. I'm just thinking aloud and not really going anywhere with that.... I'm looking forward to hearing, and tasting, how these latest attempts turn out, hop wise.

My guess if he did use 1 blend for every addition it would be 1.5/1/1/0.5/0.25/0.25 of Simcoe/Centennial/Columbus/Cascade/Chinook/Nugget.

Exactly, I think that the whole "proprietary blend" thing is more along the lines of what youre talking about.

In the clone I am working up I had been doing a ratio similar to yours, I had another HT last night in a glass and was getting a bunch of Simcoe wrapped in tropical fruits so I think Simcoe is the bigger % of that blend as well.

Exactly, I think that the whole "proprietary blend" thing is more along the lines of what youre talking about.

In the clone I am working up I had been doing a ratio similar to yours, I had another HT last night in a glass and was getting a bunch of Simcoe wrapped in tropical fruits so I think Simcoe is the bigger % of that blend as well.

I hope it is a blend that he uses for each addition because it cuts down having to figure out the blend for 3 hop additions (5 min, whirlpool, dryhop).

The next ratio I will try is 2/1/1/0.5/0.5/0.25 and then I am going to do one gallon with 2/1.5/1/0.5/0.25/0.25

A recent blog post up on The Alchemist web site says this:

"As of right now, we hope to bump up capacity in early January, and that would give us more beer in cans 28 days later."

Can we make the assumption that it is a 28 day start to finish process?

Even if true, keep in mind that timelines do not directly translate from pro brewing to homebrewing.

Vegan, I like your thinking. I definitely get a big hit of Simcoe centennial. It's all about brewing, drinking, brewing, drinking.... We'll figure it out but I think starting Sim/Cen heavy is a good idea.

Pete, I'd kick you if I didn't have three in the fridge for this weekend's second harvest. (I'm a hoarder)

There is tons of simcoe dankness. I think it's simcoe, chinook, centennial...maybe more but they get lost.

You guys should move to Vermont, it is like paradise here.

Been here for 3 years and sadly leaving next year! Need to drink all the HT I can for the next few months

If you want anything you can't find from the west coast for some abrasive, let me know ;)

Sweet. I'll probably take you up on that next month (holidays and umpteen trades). Abrasive's available through Feb., you may need to remind me but there's many a thing out your way that I'd take in a heartbeat.

DSC_0060_zps8c9d5ac8.jpg

I had some serious research and development last night!! :D

Currently no heady to be had. Checked three store that usually have it. They all sold out within hours. Merry Christmas!

Seeing them sell out time and time again is inspirational. I'd really like to do something similar one of these years in a small town.

Meanwhile, my fermenter looks like bailey's.

theveganbrewer said:
Seeing them sell out time and time again is inspirational. I'd really like to do something similar one of these years in a small town.

Meanwhile, my fermenter looks like bailey's.

Sold out is an understatement. Sold out across their distribution network in a couple hours, yikes! I would bet when they scale up they still jave distribution issues for some time.

I just decanted my starter of Conan so I can add another step-up of wort. I took a gravity reading and, of course, tasted it. I get a ton of tropical fruit and peach. I can't detect any grapefruit. When I drink a HT, that's the biggest flavor I get. So, the grapefruit must be all in the hops (I'm sure we all knew that). But, that peachy, tropical aroma and flavor, is all Conan!

-Mike

I just decanted my starter of Conan so I can add another step-up of wort. I took a gravity reading and, of course, tasted it. I get a ton of tropical fruit and peach. I can't detect any grapefruit. When I drink a HT, that's the biggest flavor I get. So, the grapefruit must be all in the hops (I'm sure we all knew that). But, that peachy, tropical aroma and flavor, is all Conan!

-Mike

I agree, a common thing I read about previous clone attempt was there wasn't enough grapefruit.

I think as soon as I get some Conan I am going to use it for a blonde or something light in flavor so I can more fully appreciate the flavors this yeast contributes

NordeastBrewer77 said:
Movin' onto the full gravity starters now.

Here's the slurry I got from the low gravity steps. Just a hunch, but I think Conan my be of English descent.

You say that from the flocculation habit? Kinda looks like 007.

I've not got that clumpiness in any of my four cans, I'd be interested if anyone else got it though. I am getting Belgian characteristics here.

I've not got that clumpiness in any of my four cans, I'd be interested if anyone else got it though. I am getting Belgian characteristics here.

I get ya on the Belgian character in the beer. I get that too. I left the starter in the fridge until it was clear clear (I wanted all of that less flocculent goodness), which took 5 days. The pic was right after I decanted and started swirling the yeast into the liquid, I looked and saw the cheese clumps. I stopped and took the pic.

Yep.....looks like an Englishman in the woodpile to me as well.

I'm hoping my Heady connection comes through soon,(been a month and nothing:() gota get this started.

I had to delay my Heady clone brewday until tomorrow but in the mean time I have built up a pretty large culture, enough to fill a few vials to share with my club.

When I crashed my starter it dropped clear in ~24 hours, I decanted and swirled it up and it was stuck so hard on the bottom it took alot of aggressive swirling to get it unstuck. I didnt get the clumpiness that youre getting but it did drop hard once I cooled it, smells like a Belgian strain to me though but I will reserve judgement until I get a finished beer.

I had to delay my Heady clone brewday until tomorrow but in the mean time I have built up a pretty large culture, enough to fill a few vials to share with my club.

When I crashed my starter it dropped clear in ~24 hours, I decanted and swirled it up and it was stuck so hard on the bottom it took alot of aggressive swirling to get it unstuck. I didnt get the clumpiness that youre getting but it did drop hard once I cooled it, smells like a Belgian strain to me though but I will reserve judgement until I get a finished beer.

That is exactly what I have but mine took a while long to clear, closer to 4 days, similar to NordeastBrewer77

Movin' onto the full gravity starters now.

Here's the slurry I got from the low gravity steps. Just a hunch, but I think Conan my be of English descent.

Vt Pub & Brewery gave John Kimmich the Conan strain and they brew and use a lot of English beers/ingredients. It seems the strain develops a lot of fruity esters (strawberry) as some people experienced which is the norm for an English strain. But don't English strains typically have a lower attenuation rate? Conan is a beast!

I'm currently building up a pitchable starter from Conan. Crash cooling a 1 liter starter and slanting a bunch of it. Gonna brew a IIPA next brewday with Conan.

I have heard that information from another source too. I'm not too concerned over English/Belgian since this strain has been modified a lot by John over it's lifespan. It's just a super strain, can ferment really low, produces a lot of fruit and really showcases the hop fruitiness.

After brewing my first batch with Conan, I washed and saved the yeast. I just finished a starter this morning with my 2nd generation of the yeast and the smell is very different than it was the first time. The first time, it smelled very peach...fruity. Very Heady. This time, it's a very strong Belgian nose. I'm cold crashing now and plan to use within a couple days, so we shall see, but I'm definitely nervous about it. It smells a lot like an old can of Heady. I just haven't decided if that's a good or bad thing.

After brewing my first batch with Conan, I washed and saved the yeast. I just finished a starter this morning with my 2nd generation of the yeast and the smell is very different than it was the first time. The first time, it smelled very peach...fruity. Very Heady. This time, it's a very strong Belgian nose. I'm cold crashing now and plan to use within a couple days, so we shall see, but I'm definitely nervous about it. It smells a lot like an old can of Heady. I just haven't decided if that's a good or bad thing.

When did you smell it the first time? At which point of stepping it up? I have found the first step smells really like Heady but once I get past that and further from hops, it smells more Belgiany with some peach in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back