Munich/Crystal SMaSH IPA with Wyeast 3711 and a Triple Decoction Mash!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigRob

Reaction score
I have a little 11.5L (2.5gal) Carboy sitting here, and I figured I had some spare time today while I'm cooking up the appetizers for SWMBO's "girls night" on Saturday (I'm going camping thankfully).

I haven't done more than a double decoction before, and I kind of messed that up, but I've been reading and reading since that incident (the beer was still great) and wanted to try out this Crystal 3.3% to get a feel for it (I have about 20oz in the freezer).

So here's my recipe

Code:
Style: American IPA 
Brewer: Big Rob 
Batch Size: 10.00 L   
Boil Volume: 13.00 L 
Boil Time: 60 min 

2.50 kg Munich Malt (Weyermann Type I)
10.00 gm Crystal [3.30%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) 
10.00 gm Crystal [3.30%] (60 min) 
10.00 gm Crystal [3.30%] (50 min)
10.00 gm Crystal [3.30%] (40 min) 
10.00 gm Crystal [3.30%] (30 min) 
10.00 gm Crystal [3.00%] (20 min) 
10.00 gm Crystal [3.30%] (10 min) 
10.00 gm Crystal [3.30%] (3 min) 
French Saison (Wyeast Labs #3711) 

Triple Decoction "Authentic German" as per Beersmith, including Acid and Protein Rests.

I did a saison IPA once...wasn't a huge fan. I would have been happy if it was only 2.5 gallons lol.

Try it though, you might like it.

I thought that SMASH beers were concocted for their simplicity...adding a triple decoction for that defeats the purpose.

If I were to invest the time and effort of the triple decoction, I would find a more classic style recipe to do it with.

That being said, I think you'll gain from the acid and protein rests, so say enjoy your brew day. It will be long but rewarding.

Back