The Great Angle Iron Single Tier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellecitybrewer

Reaction score
This is my first post with pictures, so bear with me... Anyway I recently finished welding my single tier. No gas plumbing, no burners, just steel and 4 casters. That being said, i just couldn't resist throwing my boil keggle, new mash tun and hlt on top so I could snap a few pics... First ones just the standard front side shot, second one is showing the width of the angle iron relative to a drivers license, and the third, well it just reminded me of bozo buckets...ha

IMG_0349.jpg

IMG_0350.jpg

IMG_0351.jpg

Yeah, i was a little worried about not having any supports on it, but after having three grown men stand on it, i figured she should be fine. I guess we'll see what happens when I add heat...

This update is gonna be kinda pic heavy, so i apologize. But here's an update on my finished keggles (minus diptubes) and my finally mounted burners. All that left now is to mount the plate chiller and pump and I'm off to the races!

IMG_0371.jpg

IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0385.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg

You're stand looks great, but you're avatar makes it that much better. Trailer park boys rock! It's the weirdest funniest show ever. I'm pretty sure if they build a brew stand it would look like yours.

Brewstands are so nice....Brewstands are so nice... Measure em round... Weld them down...Fire the burners twice....

boy, i really need to grind down those welds...

I was going to say that when I saw that picture.

That weld looks a little cold.

Are you sure that you got good penetration?? I'm trying to insult your welding skills. I just want to make sure that it's safe.

E

That looks like the angle we use at work to shore up bridges.:mug: I think were talking tons not pounds capability, nice work.

Keggles look great as well...reminds of my brothers bunk bed / study loft project in college, thing could of carried freight trains...loaded!

That weld looks a little cold.

Are you sure that you got good penetration?? I'm trying to insult your welding skills. I just want to make sure that it's safe.

E

Yeah, I welded, ground down, and re-welded all the welds three times each, from both sides. The first welds were too cold, but the last two penetrated real nice. No insults taken, I'm always looking for input! :mug:

Finally got the natural gas line run off of the barn and I now have FIRE!! I know that the flames are way too high, I just figured I would put 'em on full blast for the photos. Also got the pump bracket mounted and ready to go. The inaugural brewday is set for Friday! Doing a North German Alt and a cascade fueled pale ale. I feel like this has been forever in the making...

IMG_0428.jpg

IMG_0427.jpg

IMG_0430.jpg

IMG_0426.jpg

yeah, i'm gonna look into high temp powder coating, but if that doesnt work, looks like its gonna be bbq black... if i do go the high temp powder route, im thinking on making it copper color

What about the height on the burners, I think the look a bit low but that is just me. Is there a listed distance to bottom of kettle to top of burner at a btu/gas flowrate?

Oh and I would add wind gaurds, ooooh oooo, ooo, and a way to dump the mash tun :)

And is that a custom sight glass?

Well, I literally just finished the first brew. I am proud to say that the only "problem" I had was heat hitting the sight glass and the wort boiling in it. A little tin foil, and problem fixed! I hit all my numbers perfectly and finished with a little over 5 gallons of Altbier. Here's a few pics.

IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0439.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_0441.jpg

And as far as the burner height goes, it was perfect, I got to temps quick and I didn't have problems with flames licking up the sides. And yes, that sight glass on the mash tun is for viewing wort clarity while I'm recircing. I love that thing!

Back