Tired of Higher ABV's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Have any of you gotten tired of your higher ABV beers?

I've been making alot in 5-6 range. Granted its not high like Barleywine or a Tripel, but they are not really sessions either. I also say this as high because I don't make any beer much over 6%.

I'm drinking my St Patty's Day Boston Lager, its a good 6%, and I can taste the alcohol.

I know any self-respecting Irishman would never say such a thing but I'm not Irish... :D

Basically, what it comes down to is I don't want to notice the alcohol.

I'm kinda thinking I should occasionally be making something around 4%. I think I need to have a standard session beer.

I was wondering if you ever felt the same?

That's one of the reasons I'm going AG. I want to do multiple runnings. Take the first run and make a 8-11% beer that will age for a long time, then take the second runnings and make a 3.4 - 4.5% beer for faster consumption. If your runnings are a little low on the OG, just add a bit of DME to give it a lift.

It allows you to enjoy more without over-imbibing and as a side benefit, you ought to have some really special bottles for those rainy days.... :mug:

Homebrewer_99

How far is Atkinson from I-80? I passed by there last weekend and was thinking, why does that seem familar?

Then I remembered that somebody from HBT was from there.

Schlenkerla said:

Let it age long befor you drink it. I know my Red and Wee Heavy are both hot if I drink them green but with time they mellow out perfectly and become almost dangerous beause you dont notice the alchohol at all. FWIW my Red is about 6% and my Wee Heavy is 12%

Pumba - Thanks for the suggestion - I'll have to let them sit for awhile. I'm only at a month after the lager was completed.

Schlenkerla said:
Homebrewer_99

How far is Atkinson from I-80? I passed by there last weekend and was thinking, why does that seem familar?

Then I remembered that somebody from HBT was from there.
The town itself is like 300 yards from the interstate. I live on the north of town 1 mile from the exit.

I wasn't here though, I was in NJ. We just got back yesterday.

Talk about bad timing.:mad:

With yard work season coming I was thinking about brewing something really low in abv. Don't want to cut the neighbors rose bushes down.Any suggestions?

I like pale ales for lawnmower beers. Normally I aim for something like 3-4% ABV at the most. For those REALLY hot days I'll also go for a MGD or Highlife

Pumbaa said:
I like pale ales for lawnmower beers. Normally I aim for something like 3-4% ABV at the most. For those REALLY hot days I'll also go for a MGD or Highlife

So by "REALLY hot days" what you mean are cold days in hell? :D

Schlenkerla said:
Have any of you gotten tired of your higher ABV beers?

I've been making alot in 5-6 range. Granted its not high like Barleywine or a Tripel, but they are not really sessions either. I also say this as high because I don't make any beer much over 6%.

I'm drinking my St Patty's Day Boston Lager, its a good 6%, and I can taste the alcohol.

I know any self-respecting Irishman would never say such a thing but I'm not Irish... :D

I'm kinda thinking I should occasionally be making something around 4%. I think I need to have a standard session beer.

I was wondering if you ever felt the same?

Well, I have been ardently pursuing the art of the mild ale recently. My Nothin' To It is pretty damn mild, not just in ABV but in flavor and body.

I'm trying to nail that light, tasty, quaffing-by-the-quart-with-dinner ale. And coming up with some interesting beers in the process...

Sorta kinda...when I first started brewing I was a tad obsessed with abv and pushing the % higher no matter what the style or how appropriate that was. The mere fact that I could create something with alcohol in my house had a "wow" factor.

Today, though my brewing has been all over the map I am more interested in brewing to style or achieving a specific flavor profile...course, in many cases a target abv is part of the style or profile. It plays more a role in consumption and in hand, brewing choices than it does anything else for me.

brewt00l said:
Sorta kinda...when I first started brewing I was a tad obsessed with abv and pushing the % higher no matter what the style or how appropriate that was. The mere fact that I could create something with alcohol in my house had a "wow" factor.

Today, though my brewing has been all over the map I am more interested in brewing to style or achieving a specific flavor profile...course, in many cases a target abv is part of the style or profile. It plays more a role in consumption and in hand, brewing choices than it does anything else for me.

Yah, I'm a little guilty of amping them up a bit. I think an ordinary session beer should be a regular stock in the HB fridge.

My Pleasant Hill Pils will be in that order. My Dortmunder will not, its going to be pushing 6%. It should meet the style guidlines though. I'll have to follow Pumba's advice and let them sit longer to mellow.

I generally always keep one beer around thats low alcohol (4%)... belgian wit. I do make big beers from time to time but yeah the point isnt to get trashed. I'd rather enjoy the taste....

I burned out on doubles, triples and imperials years ago. With rare exceptions, I target for 3.5-5%. It's more work, just like making an IPA without 4 ounces of Cascades, but a tasty small beer will stand out.

Back