wyeast packaging broke when slapped.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

griffin414

Reaction score
hi guys, been reading posts on here for a couple months, but this is my first post. just now getting ready to brew my second batch today, and took my Wyeast 1056 American Ale pack out to slap it with the hopes of being able to brew this evening. well, i slapped it once and couldnt really tell if i had broke the inner package, so i slapped it again, a little bit harder, and the outer package busted shooting some liquid out. its a small puncture, very small, cant even really tell it is there unless there is a little bit of liquid running out. it has been about 30 minutes and no signs of inflation yet, but i know its still early. i was wandering if any experienced brewers have experienced this and what their opinions are on if i should try to use the yeast or not. my instinct says i should probably hold off till i can get more yeast. but i have to do all my shopping through mail order because the nearest homebrew shop is almost 2 hours away.

also, the package has not been sanitized, neither had my hands, i hadnt anticipated the outer packaging to bust, just another factor that im not sure will affect the outcome or not. :(

Were you planning on making a starter? If so, do it now.

If not, I'd open it up completely and pour into a sanitized container (glass, bowl, whatever) and cover loosely with foil or something until you're ready to pitch.

It probably won't swell much with a hole in the package...

I wouldn't worry about it. Cover the opening so nothing gets in and you'll be fine. I've had them fully come apart and make a mess, salvaged what was left inside the pack, made a starter with no problems...most beers are drunk way before any nasties can have a significant impact on the flavor.

thanks for the responses. i was not planning on making a starter. like i said, this is just my second batch, and the first one i used dry yeast. so its all pretty new to me. guess im going to get sanitizing though.

if i do the method of pouring the yeast into a sanitized container and cover it letting it sit for a couple hours without making a starter, will there be any obvious signs of if the yeast will be usable or not? again, thanks for the time, and sorry for all the noob questions.

I highly doubt there will be any signs that let you know if the yeast is usable. Check the date on the package to see how old it is and trust wyeast. I'm sure the yeast is fine. For future brews I recommend you look into starters. Good luck.

For future brews I recommend you look into starters.

agreed. i had not read much about them until today, but definitely see why they are a good thing. thanks again for all the input everyone. after weighing the options with my equally novice brew partner, we decided to sanitize some tupper ware and put the packet in it, hoping that it will catch the leak. it seems to be working and the pack actually has puffed up nicely. thanks for easing my mind that the yeast was most likely not "ruined"!! my heart sank when the pack squirted across the room and i fell back into "i dont know what im doing!!!" mode for a while.

agreed. i had not read much about them until today, but definitely see why they are a good thing. thanks again for all the input everyone. after weighing the options with my equally novice brew partner, we decided to sanitize some tupper ware and put the packet in it, hoping that it will catch the leak. it seems to be working and the pack actually has puffed up nicely. thanks for easing my mind that the yeast was most likely not "ruined"!! my heart sank when the pack squirted across the room and i fell back into "i dont know what im doing!!!" mode for a while.

You gain experience every brew. Next time someone asks a question like this you get to answer it.;)

Back