Flying Dog Doggie-style Pale Ale Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seyahmit

Reaction score
I tried Doggie-style Pale Ale for the first time last night and was really impressed. With the Flying Dog yeast as the current VSS from Wyeast, I thought I would see if I could clone it.

Flying Dog was nice and made it easy for us. They posted some recipe guidelines on their brewery news blog.

Here is what they said about the yeast and recipe:

h1
Flying Dog “VSS” Home Brewer Recipe
January 11th, 2007

The brewers at Flying Dog Brewery are excited to partner with Wyeast and introduce our house strain (Flying Dog 1737) as the next edition of the “Very Special Strain” series and now available to home brewers everywhere.

First, a little background on our proprietary, award-winning, Flying Dog 1737 yeast strain. This yeast has been our primary ale strain since Flying Dog Brewery started production over thirteen years ago in Aspen, CO. We are now based in Denver, CO and use it our Doggie-Style Classic Pale Ale, Snake Dog IPA, Road Dog Porter, K-9 Cruiser Winter Ale and our Gonzo Imperial Porter. The Flying Dog 1737 yeast strain has produced several Great American Beer Festival medal winners.

For all of the home brewers, here are some of the specifics you will want to know when working with this strain. This ale yeast is a vigorous fermentor, producing ales with a complex, malty profile. This yeast will give an attenuation of approximately 68% to 71%, has good flocculation, and ferments in the 65F to 72F temperature range. A typical primary fermentation should be complete within 4 to 7 days and total fermentation time can be as little as 16 days. We recommend ensuring proper wort aeration to allow for complete attenuation.

To enhance your home brewing experience with this yeast, we would like to give you a chance to brew your own version of our award-winning Doggie-Style Classic Pale Ale with a scaled down recipe to accommodate a smaller brew system:

Volume is not specified to allow brewers to tailor amounts to meet their desired results.

Specifics:
OG: 13.0
FG: 3.5
IBU: 45
SRM: 20

Grist:
90% 2-Row Pale Malt
9% Crystal 90L
1% Chocolate

Hops:
N Brewer (7.5%) Bittering
Cascade (6.8%) Aroma
Cascade Dry Hop

Mash grains at 152F for 45 minutes
90 Minute boil N Brewer at beginning of boil targeting 40-45 IBU
Add Cascades at end of boil
Dry hop with Cascades after primary

Ferment with Wyeast 1737 Flying Dog Ale Yeast 68F
Aerate wort well primary fermentation should be complete within 5 to 7 days

Good luck with our VSS 1737 yeast and your future brewing endeavors and thanks again for you interest and support of the Flying Dog Brewery! Cheers!

I am wondering if the SRM of 20 is a typo. The beer certainly didn't seem like it was that dark. Also when I put the guidelines into ProMash, I came up with a SRM of 14.

Here is my recipe below. Comments or Suggestions are welcomed.

Flying Dog Doggie Style Pale Ale

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

10-A American Ale, American Pale Ale

Min OG: 1.045 Max OG: 1.060
Min IBU: 30 Max IBU: 54
Min Clr: 5 Max Clr: 14 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 6.00 Wort Size (Gal): 6.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 11.84
Anticipated OG: 1.053 Plato: 13.04
Anticipated SRM: 14.0
Anticipated IBU: 43.7
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Formulas Used
-------------

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
90.0 10.66 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
9.0 1.07 lbs. Crystal 90L America 1.033 90
1.0 0.12 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.20 oz. Northern Brewer Pellet 9.00 43.7 60 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.75 0.0 0 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.75 0.0 Dry Hop

Yeast
-----

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 11.84
Water Qts: 14.21 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 3.55 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.20 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 152 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 168 Time: 10
Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 60

Total Mash Volume Gal: 4.50 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

Completely off topic but I always have to hold back a chuckle when the hot/cute waitress asks me if I want another of the "Doggie Style". Yes...I know....pathetic.

You can have your thread back now.

So the 1% chocolate is for color purpose only ? I dout they use that for flavor. Am I correct in thinking this ?

So I've tried BeerSmith for the first time to try to convert this recipe.This look about right?

I'm confused as to why there all only 1oz of hops being boiled. This is a very hoppy beer so I assumed there would be more. Does the dry hop add to the flavor? I thought dry hopping was just for aroma.

I put in California Ale as preliminary yeast, but I'm hoping if I go to the brewery next weekend they will be kind enough to let me have some yeast.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - BeerSmith Brewing Software, Recipes, Blog, Wiki and Discussion Forum
Recipe: Flying Dog Pale Ale Clone
Brewer: KLD
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 4.08 gal
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 13.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 30.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.36 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 88.2 %
0.55 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 10.6 %
0.06 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 1.2 %
1.18 oz Northern Brewer [8.50%] (60 min) Hops 30.2 IBU
0.83 oz Cascade [5.50%] (0 min) Hops -
0.83 oz Cascade [5.50%] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: None
Total Grain Weight: 10.10 lb

Did anyone try the AG clone posted seyahmit ? Tasted this beer lately and was really impressed.
cheers
derek

Here is the recipe I worked out for my system. Since I can't get the flying dog yeast, I'm going to use S-04. I might brew this tomorrow.

OG: 1.052
Efficiency: 80%

Amount Item Type % or IBU
9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 90.00 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.00 %
6.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 3.75 %
2.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 1.25 %
1.25 oz Northern Brewer [8.10 %] (90 min) Hops 41.2 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [7.40 %] (5 min) Hops 4.5 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham

Edit: updated ingredients that I actually used

Ok I have some feedback on this! It turned out pretty good, but I would definitely change my recipe. It ended up WAY too dark, like brown ale dark, even with the amounts listed here. I would reduce (or drop) the chocolate malt. Also, I dry hopped with 1.5oz of cascade and it took a LONG time to mellow enough for me to enjoy it. I would probably dry hop with just .5oz next time.

Interesting that on 9/10, I brewed my version of this beer:

5.5 gallons

10 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 91.30 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.35 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 4.35 %
1.25 oz Northern Brewer [7.30 %] (30 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 24.4 IBU
0.30 oz Northern Brewer [7.30 %] (15 min) Hops 3.4 IBU
0.30 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (15 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.28 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
3.00 tbsp Yeast Nutrient - boil (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

I mashed at 153 for 60 min and fermented at 68 degrees.
Primary for 3 weeks, keg at room temp for about 3 weeks then chill and carb. OG-1.055. FG-1.011

I've only just tapped it and it is too dark for sure. The hop aroma isn't strong enough (I didn't dry hop), but it's mighty tasty.

I just got a clone recipe in the mail and it only calls for 1/2 oz. Northern brewer at 60 min. I have a full oz would you recommend just throwing the whole oz in there? When I put it in beer calculus the IBU for the recipe is 17 which is way short of what should be expected. When I add the full oz it comes closer to what was expected.

I just got a clone recipe in the mail and it only calls for 1/2 oz. Northern brewer at 60 min. I have a full oz would you recommend just throwing the whole oz in there? When I put it in beer calculus the IBU for the recipe is 17 which is way short of what should be expected. When I add the full oz it comes closer to what was expected.

It depends on the alpha acid rating of the hops, but 17 IBU is not enough for a pale ale IMO. I'd say to throw it in there.

Edit: Also my version is really good. Maybe the best beer I've brewed. Brewing it again this weekend.

OK, now I'm curious. Has anyone seen the Flying Dog VSS yeast available anywhere? I realize it was a limited release a few years back, but you can find the Pacman which was also a VSS.

Where are the simcoe and citra? New to all this but i believe if u look on the flyingdogales.com site they list northern brewers, simcoe, cascade, and citra, also they list the specialty malt as 120L, am i confused or were they left out on purpose or something.

Where are the simcoe and citra? New to all this but i believe if u look on the flyingdogales.com site they list northern brewers, simcoe, cascade, and citra, also they list the specialty malt as 120L, am i confused or were they left out on purpose or something.
Zombie thread, but...
This is my question as well. I brewed a version of this a couple years ago basing it on the 200 Clone recipes book. I used 11.25 lbs of 2 Row, 4 oz of Crystal 120 and 4 oz of Cara-pils. Based on the book, I hopped with .5 oz Northern Brewer @ 90 min, .75 oz Cascade and .75 oz Centennial @ 15 min, 1 oz Cascade @ 2 min and 1 oz Cascade @ dry hop. The color was different (can't remember if it was darker, but I assume it was), but 2 of us, blindfolded, could not tell the difference in taste between my clone and the original. I'm gong to brew another batch of this soon and do another comparison. 1187 Ringwood, is what the book calls for. When I brew it again in the next month or so, I will report back here and let you know.

Zombie thread, but...
This is my question as well. I brewed a version of this a couple years ago basing it on the 200 Clone recipes book. I used 11.25 lbs of 2 Row, 4 oz of Crystal 120 and 4 oz of Cara-pils. Based on the book, I hopped with .5 oz Northern Brewer @ 90 min, .75 oz Cascade and .75 oz Centennial @ 15 min, 1 oz Cascade @ 2 min and 1 oz Cascade @ dry hop. The color was different (can't remember if it was darker, but I assume it was), but 2 of us, blindfolded, could not tell the difference in taste between my clone and the original. I'm gong to brew another batch of this soon and do another comparison. 1187 Ringwood, is what the book calls for. When I brew it again in the next month or so, I will report back here and let you know.

Thanks for bringing this back to life. I had forgotten that I'd subscribed a few years ago. I've been lurking for quite a while and finally started brewing this year. I want to do something like this for my third beer in a couple of weeks. Do you think it would come close racked onto a Nottingham cake from a blonde ale that I have in primary right now? Also, couldn't I sub a lighter Crystal in place of the 120 to get a lighter colored beer with the same flavor? What is your expected IBUs with the hop combination you used?

Thanks.

Thanks for bringing this back to life. I had forgotten that I'd subscribed a few years ago. I've been lurking for quite a while and finally started brewing this year. I want to do something like this for my third beer in a couple of weeks. Do you think it would come close racked onto a Nottingham cake from a blonde ale that I have in primary right now? Also, couldn't I sub a lighter Crystal in place of the 120 to get a lighter colored beer with the same flavor? What is your expected IBUs with the hop combination you used?

Thanks.

I've never used Nottingham, so i can't answer that one. Yes, a lower lovibond crystal would make the beer lighter. My IBU's, IIRC, was in the 33 range.

So I decided to brew this tomorrow. Here is my recipe:
11.25 lbs - 2 Row
.25 lbs C-80
.25 lbs Carapils

.75 oz Northern Brewer (8.5% AA) @ 90 min
.75 oz Cascade (7.4% AA) @ 15 min
.75 oz Centennial (8.7% AA) @ 15 min
1 oz Cascade (7.4% AA) @ 2 min
1 oz Cascade (7.4% AA) Dry Hop

I made a 1500 ml starter with Wyeast 1187 Ringwood

This recipe is very close to the one listed in the 200 Clones book. I subbed C-80 for C-120, as I think the C-120 makes it too dark. In a couple of weeks, I will pick up a 6-er of it and do a side-by-side comparison. I'll post back here after I do it.

Do you think it would come close racked onto a Nottingham cake from a blonde ale that I have in primary right now? Also, couldn't I sub a lighter Crystal in place of the 120 to get a lighter colored beer with the same flavor?

Thanks.

That would be an overpitch, and notty is already so clean. Flying Dog's yeast clearly has some fruit to it, so I'd dump at least half the cake (or save it). I'd also say it's not really Doggy Style with notty but it will be a fine PA.

I made a citra-cascade PA based on this the other week--I have NB on hand and can definitely taste it in the original but I haven't done any straight citrus PAs in a while, so not a clone in the hops department. I pitched a blend of wlp001 and wlp550 belgian (about 3:1). Low 60s. Sniffs in primary suggest chico is running the show but maybe the belgian will pick up as I ramp the temp. I'll post recipe etc. when I have tasting notes. If it comes out too clean I'll adjust temps or maybe try a 1:1 S-04/WLP550 since I have both in stock.

I used MO for this with a pound each of C-60 and Munich. I think Doggy Style has more toast to it than 2-row alone will give you (biscuit would obviously be overkill). Maybe this will be too much, but I'll report.

According to this article, they changed the recipe a year or so ago and added the Simcoe and citra and changed the caramel. Now who has a clone recipe?

http://www.craftbeer.com/brewers_banter/flying-dog-reinvents-doggie-style-classic-pale-ale

Latest posts

Back