First IPA, few questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boston85

Reaction score
I am going to brew this up today for my first IPA

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/all-amarillo-ipa-28517/

It sounds great. Picked up everything yesterday, brew shop had Amarillo but at 7.2%, so I went with 4.5 oz. I want to try out a bigger boil than the 1.5 gallon called for. Was thinking of doing 3.5 gallon. Would I still steep the C40 the same way or should I steep in 1.5 gallons as called for and then add another 2 gallons?

Also I saw a few suggestions to add half the DME in the last 15 min. What exactly does that change about the beer?

It sounds great. Picked up everything yesterday, brew shop had Amarillo but at 7.2%, so I went with 4.5 oz. I want to try out a bigger boil than the 1.5 gallon called for. Was thinking of doing 3.5 gallon. Would I still steep the C40 the same way or should I steep in 1.5 gallons as called for and then add another 2 gallons?

Also I saw a few suggestions to add half the DME in the last 15 min. What exactly does that change about the beer?

You can steep the grain in the full amount if you want.

Adding the DME late in the boil reduces the darkening and extract-y flavor you can sometimes get in extract beers.

You only need to increase the hops at 60 minutes, to make up for the differences between the 7.2% and the 8% called for in the recipe, but it's close enough that I wouldn't bother adding more hops. The difference would be in the hundredths of ounces.

*Yoop beat me to it*

You can steep the grains either way. Both are fine. One of the reasons for the late DME addition is to utilize the hops better. With the lower gravity for a good portion of the boil the hops acids will isomerize easier. The other reason is to lighten the beer a tad. With putting a portion of the DME in later it won't have as much time to caramelize during the boil.

Let us know how it turns out. :mug:

Thanks a lot for the advice. These hops smell amazing... cannot wait to see how this turns out. This could be my last extract brew, with All Grain equipment coming for Christmas, so want to try and make it a good one. Also just received kegging equipment, so trying to decide whether to keg this one or bottle.

Back