cooler HLT watt question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joetuo

Reaction score
Can the cooler withstand a 5500 watt element? If not what is the max watt heating element that should be used in a cooler HLT?

Thanks in advance..

Not really a max size for a cooler, regardless of element size, you don't want it touching the sides, or heating the water above say 180 - 185. I will admit I have had my HLT boiling while being absent minded during a brew session in a 48qt Ice Cube w/ no apparent ill affects.

The cooler is only "withstanding" the heat of the water, the element size is somewhat irrelevant, unless of course you fall asleep at 100% full on.:mug:

Unless you are looking for batches above ten gallons, I would think even a 4500w would heat strike water fairly quickly, and would heat plenty of sparge water during the rest. But if you got the juice avail., no harm running a bigger element.

Just a heads up, give the tun a quick stir while checking temperature, it can stratify top to bottome while heating.

I chickened out using elements in a cooler. Afraid of them melting the plastic.

Went ahead and made a keggle HLT with 2 heatsticks. No way THAT is going to melt!

:ban:

(Oh, and 4000 watts heats up my mash and sparge water for 10 gallon batches very nicely)

Back