Definition of Irony

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A tragic coincidence is not irony.

From Oxford Dictionary:
"…the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect…"

Alanis Morriset screwed up everybody's understanding of the term. Actually, the fact that the song is called "Ironic" is an example of irony. Others:

- An ambulance running somebody over
- A fire safety class being canceled due to the movie screen catching fire

I'm usually not a language/grammar nazi but the misuse of irony gets me.

From Oxford Dictionary:
"…the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect…"

Alanis Morriset screwed up everybody's understanding of the term. Actually, the fact that the song is called "Ironic" is an example of irony. Others:

From Merriam-Webster and OMG I think this applies to the topic at hand:
"(1) : incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal or expected result (2) : an event or result marked by such incongruity"

Oxford is antiquated, Alanis rules!

As soon as I saw the thread title I knew there would be a dictionary involved.

my vote is coincidence, not irony

As soon as I saw the thread title I knew there would be a dictionary involved.
Would you expect any less from the interwebs?

Oxford is antiquated, Alanis rules!

HAHA okay that's really funny :ban:

Yeah, I think Oxford lists that particular definition as "colloquial" so I don't count it ^_^ Kind of like using "google" as a verb; I typically say "do a google search." I know it's more to say but I'm just weird like that.

Science, however, can now be used as a verb.
qc-scienceverb.png

From Oxford Dictionary:

Man I wanted to point this out when I first saw the post, but since it wasn't in the debate forum, I felt it was best to ignore it. Thanks for having more guts than me!

Man I wanted to point this out when I first saw the post, but since it wasn't in the debate forum, I felt it was best to ignore it. Thanks for having more guts than me!

Does it count if I'm drunk as the forum stipulates? :drunk:

I was talking to a friend of mine and he told me I didn't understand irony, which is ironic because we were standing at a bus stop.

Back