Moving to full 5 gal boils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2nd Street Brewery

Reaction score
Ok, I have decided that I want to try moving to full boils from 3 gal, concentrated boils. I am still doing extract w/grains. Is there anything I need to do to the recipes I'm using other than use more water? Do I need to adjust the amount of grains and or hops. I know a full boil gives better hop utilization and also helps with making a lighter(color wize) brew.

Thanks

I recently moved to full boils too. I was advised tosteep my grains in a different pot with 1-3 quarts of water per pound of grains and keep the temp in the 150-160 range. Just do it while you're bringing the big pot to a boil and plan on losing 20% of the water in your steeping pot to the grains.

Using the smaller amount of water will keep your PH where it needs to be and keep you from extracting tannins.

I already do my steeping in a seperate pot from my boil kettle. Usually 1/2 to 1 gal of water depending on the amount of grains. I also am in the process of picking up an immersion chiller from a guy over on the Greenboard.

You may want to do a search .... I know that a full boil will change the hop utilization as you said.... I think by as much as 15-20%. you may need to adjust the amount of hops. A search will probably yield some more onfo on this as I can't remember the numbers for sure.

Back