Water report?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mac1jw

Reaction score
Asked for a water report from the county...and this is what they gave me:

Alkalinity: 20-27
pH range: 8.5-8.8
Chlorine: 0.70-1.20
Sodium: 8.5
Hardness: 17.2

I've searched here for ideas on interpreting these numbers...and yup..."I No understandy" Bout the only thing I can follow is that the pH is high for lighter beers.

I'm sure there is a chart somewhere that gives the proper mineral/element/stuff to add, the amount to add/per gallon of water, in order to get a specific number/reading.

I've looked at the spread sheets and I don't have enough of the info, which I'm sure is part of the problem. This has gotta be easier for those of us who are scientific retards.

Yes, my water tastes fine.

Asked for a water report from the county...and this is what they gave me:

Alkalinity: 20-27
pH range: 8.5-8.8
Chlorine: 0.70-1.20
Sodium: 8.5
Hardness: 17.2

I've searched here for ideas on interpreting these numbers...and yup..."I No understandy" Bout the only thing I can follow is that the pH is high for lighter beers.

I'm sure there is a chart somewhere that gives the proper mineral/element/stuff to add, the amount to add/per gallon of water, in order to get a specific number/reading.

I've looked at the spread sheets and I don't have enough of the info, which I'm sure is part of the problem. This has gotta be easier for those of us who are scientific retards.

Yes, my water tastes fine.

#1 That report is not adequate for brewing purposes. In addition you need to know at least the following: Calcium (very important), chloride, Iron (you don't want any or close to it), Magnesium and sulphates.

#2 Your water's pH is of little importance. This is a common misconception. It is the pH of the mash that you need to be concerned with. In fact due to the low alkalinity and hardness of your water it is probably very good for lighter beers.

Please look at the sticky thread at the top of this section "Brewing Water Profiles and Tool". The link Rick500 posted is there along with some other good ones. :mug:

Back