Quick Question (full boil vs topping up)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graeme

Reaction score
I got BYO's 150 classic clone brews (fantastic by the way) like many recipes I come across online for extract they always presume you are going to be topping up with water at the end. I personally always do a full boil as I have a wort chiller and cooling isn't an issue for me. With that in mind, is there any difference what so ever in following these recipes while doing full boils?

In a word? No.

One of the reasons why they say to add top up water is if people have a strong boil, some of the water will boil off.

BTW - If you want to have more traffic to get your answer, change the title to say something like: Quick Question: RIS Characteristics.

In a word? No.

One of the reasons why they say to add top up water is if people have a strong boil, some of the water will boil off.
This is not true. They tell you to add top off water because most extract brewing and the kits you buy are designed for partial boils because most beginners don't have large enough pots for full boils. You boils 2.5 gallons with a very concentrated wort, then top off water to hit 5G and your 5G.

These recipes will be affected.
Hop Utilization will be different in partial boil then it will in a full boil. Search here an online for Hop Utilization.

Hop utilization will be allot better, but I know what you mean, it may or may not be favourable depending on certain styles. Will it be a big deal?

Full Boil is going to be better regardless of style.

You would probably notice a difference if drinking two batches side by side with the only variable being Partial Boil vs Full Boil. Don't know if you'll notice a difference from what it was supposed to taste like vs what it ends up tasting like. It will be beer still, just a different hop profile on bitterness and flavor. You will get more out of your hops when using a full boil.

Couple links on the topic.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/partial-vs-full-boil-55347/
Morebeer's Brew Chat • View topic - Full boil vs partial

You can find more but my work blocks most alcohol sites.

I typed "Hop Utilization Full Boil vs partial Boil" in Google.

This is not true. They tell you to add top off water because most extract brewing and the kits you buy are designed for partial boils because most beginners don't have large enough pots for full boils. You boils 2.5 gallons with a very concentrated wort, then top off water to hit 5G and your 5G.

These recipes will be affected.
Hop Utilization will be different in partial boil then it will in a full boil. Search here an online for Hop Utilization.

I understand the concept of hop utilization, but I thought they made those recipes based off a variety of boil styles.

In Beersmith, it also has a "top-up" provision based on how vigorous the boil is, even for all-grain.

I understand the concept of hop utilization, but I thought they made those recipes based off a variety of boil styles.

In Beersmith, it also has a "top-up" provision based on how vigorous the boil is, even for all-grain.
The recipe would be made based off what ever boil size they tell you to use in the instructions. I know the extracts I did called for a 2.5 Gallon boil and would have most likely came out different doing a full boil. He asked if there was any difference between doing a Parital and Full Boil I simply let him know that the difference exists. Plus did not mention having any software to help him see any changes.

With that in mind, is there any difference what so ever in following these recipes while doing full boils?

Back