Simple Trellis Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cactusgarrett

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen many pics of great trellis setups, but as this will be my first attempt at growing my own, i've got on question that i couldn't find an answer to:

I will be growing two varieties on twine fixed to the top of my house, but i haven't seen people's setups in how the twine or vertical line support is anchored into the ground/mound.

Can anyone comment on their opinion of the best way to afix the support twine/wire to the ground?

Thanks.

I've seen tent stakes used to anchor the twine.

*shrug* I was this close to a hop yard this spring and then prices went down.

I just use a small branch, I have thousands of them. Once the bine is wrapped onto 3 feet of twine, the roots will hold it in place.

I use raised beds, with an 8X4 lattice about 7 feet above the bed. I tie sisal onto the lattice and run it down to an eye hook screwed into the frame of the bed. The hops climb the rope and then can be trained to grow as you wish atop the lattice.

If you'll have a raised bed along the side of your house, or even barrels, this might be an easy solution to explore. No worries about a critter or the weight of the bine pulling out the stakes... this was an issue with my cucumber plants last year, which were considerably heavier than my 1st year hops. Granted i used pretty weak stakes though....

Back