BJCP Educational Events?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jablestein

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I got the chance to go to my first GABF this past weekend, which was an awesome experience! Great beers, fantastic people! However, it was a real eye opener to just how little I know and understand about different beer styles and that's something I want to rectify as I feel it could only make me a better homebrewer. That being said, I'm curious if there are any events in my area where people can go to learn about BJCP styles or even just beer tasting and understanding in general. I'm still fairly new to all of this so if anyone knows of events or organizations that I should know about, I'm all ears! Thanks so much for your help!

Hey all,

So I got the chance to go to my first GABF this past weekend, which was an awesome experience! Great beers, fantastic people! However, it was a real eye opener to just how little I know and understand about different beer styles and that's something I want to rectify as I feel it could only make me a better homebrewer. That being said, I'm curious if there are any events in my area where people can go to learn about BJCP styles or even just beer tasting and understanding in general. I'm still fairly new to all of this so if anyone knows of events or organizations that I should know about, I'm all ears! Thanks so much for your help!

A homebrew club is usually the best place to start. They have tastings, meetings, competitions, and of course always provide feedback. They often have BJCP preparation classes as well.

I'm sure that you have at least one local homebrew club, but others in CO will be able to help more with specifics.

One pretty easy way to learn about the different styles is on your own, by reading the BJCP guidelines and then "judging" beer on your own to see if you can pick up what is described. Here's the guidelines: http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/catdex.php

Thank you very much! I've seen the Style Guides but hadn't given much thought to trying each style and trying to figure it out myself. Hopefully I can get in touch with a local brewing club that might be able to help me in my studies.

Jablestein- the IPAlers in Longmont are great (iirc they meet at Lefthand), and you're also welcome to join us Hop Barley and the Alers in Boulder on the 4th Tuesdays 7:00pm at Masonic Lodge, NW corner Pine & Broadway. http://hopbarley.org/ Usually style reviews are done with study groups for the BJCP exam. But with the new online exam, that is less an issue. Going to a club meeting is the best to organize a group like that.

There is an upcoming competition Foam on the Range Being a steward at a comp is a great introduction to the BJCP environment. Watch BJCP schedule for others, e.g. Reggale and Dredhop in Boulder in Feb or March.

Jablestein- the IPAlers in Longmont are great (iirc they meet at Lefthand), and you're also welcome to join us Hop Barley and the Alers in Boulder on the 4th Tuesdays 7:00pm at Masonic Lodge, NW corner Pine & Broadway. http://hopbarley.org/ Usually style reviews are done with study groups for the BJCP exam. But with the new online exam, that is less an issue. Going to a club meeting is the best to organize a group like that.

There is an upcoming competition Foam on the Range Being a steward at a comp is a great introduction to the BJCP environment. Watch BJCP schedule for others, e.g. Reggale and Dredhop in Boulder in Feb or March.

That sounds fantastic! Thank you so much. I'll be sure to try and attend one of the upcoming events!

Latest posts

Back