GF all grain???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wardenwheat

Reaction score
Ok,this may be a dumb question, but I don't want to spend all day searching forums for the answer........

Never brewed gf beer, but looked at some links and see syrup and sugar as the main ingredients. I'm an all grain brewer. Is it possible to do an all grain gluten free beer??

If so, what grains.

It seems possible. Check out the two sticky threads. It's ongoing research on the ingredients, and the process and attempts of malting in the past two years and the perceived differences so far.
All the info you'll want is there, and if you suceed in doing an all grain, let us know. There's a few who have successfully malted quinoa, sorghum and buckwheat, and I believe there's been info about millet and amaranth. Of course other countries have some other procedures about malting millet too.
I was malting some oats and sorghum in a small half pound batch to try out like they are but I went on vacation over thanksgiving and they got a bit... off.

Ok,this may be a dumb question, but I don't want to spend all day searching forums for the answer........

Never brewed gf beer, but looked at some links and see syrup and sugar as the main ingredients. I'm an all grain brewer. Is it possible to do an all grain gluten free beer??

If so, what grains.

So far we have not found any gluten free grains with the enzymes to convert itself, which means you need to add enzymes. Obtaining certain enzymes is difficult, and without them it is difficult to get as good of conversion as glutenous mashes.

On top of this, there are hardly any malted gluten free grains anyway, so you have to malt your own grains. You would also have to roast them if you want any specialty grains.

Basically, sure you can, but be prepared to do a lot of research into enzymes and having trouble purchasing them. All grain gluten free is much more difficult than normal all grain brewing.

What if u chewed the grains like the do in making Taj with corn?

Just watched the Brewmasters Episode on this. Basically, there's no reason to chew it up. Sure you'll get a touch of amylase, but you'd be way better off just buying some amylase from your LHBS.

While it certainly works. The only reason in today's world to really bother chewing if you want to go for the gross-out factor of 'this beer is made from the people's spit out chewings of grain'.

Basically, sure you can, but be prepared to do a lot of research into enzymes and having trouble purchasing them. All grain gluten free is much more difficult than normal all grain brewing.

And that's not even getting into how much more difficult sparging is because a lot of GF grains end up having the consistency of oatmeal.

Latest posts

Back