Don't forget your dog!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-Happy

Reaction score
I just found this article Link

This pet shop owner had a local brewery make a beer for her dogs!

Dog days of summer meets bow-wow brewing. :D

Considering what a dog is willing to lick, the options for taste variety are wide open!!

The first time someone posted this, my first thought was "wow, that's pretty f*cking stupid".

I retain that position :D

In our house, if you like eating goose grap, you drink water. Sorry, but those are the rules. :)

In our house, if you like eating goose grap, you drink water. Sorry, but those are the rules. :)

In my house we're a little more strict, it's goose, rabbit, deer and duck crap snacks that'll keep you from enjoying a cold one. So far I've been good about following the rules, but my dogs haven't...

FYI, folks: alcohol is very bad for dogs. Their livers aren't equipped to process it like ours are. So please, please, don't go feeding your dog more than a sip of beer! My pup likes to take a few laps from my glass here and there---probably just likes the sugar---but it's never more than an ounce or so. [/PSA]

FYI, folks: alcohol is very bad for dogs. Their livers aren't equipped to process it like ours are. So please, please, don't go feeding your dog more than a sip of beer! My pup likes to take a few laps from my glass here and there---probably just likes the sugar---but it's never more than an ounce or so. [/PSA]

Mine will ONLY drink it if I dab a little on my finger tip. I think it has to do with the smell, being to intense to drink from a bowel or glass. I have no problem giving them a taste of what I've made from time to time, be I'm usually to greedy to share anyway :D

Dog livers can process alcohol. The standard treatment for chocolate poisoning is IV alcohol. The liver processes the alcohol rather than the theobromine and the kidneys clear out the theobromine. I had a Shepard-mix that ate two pounds of chocolate chips my GF left out.

Chronic alcohol use causes all of the problems it does in people.

I don't see the big deal. All it is is a liquid dog treat. I don't see how this is pampering a dog anymore than throwing him a milkbone.

And I'm sure that there's no more complex a process involved in making this stuff than there is in making "dog beer", then bottling and capping it...

It just seems like a gimmick to me. Hehe, "dog beer", hey, I like beer, I should get some for my dog so he can drink beer too...hehe, beer. Yeah, yeah, BEER! Or I could just go buy some milkbones or whatever my dog likes to eat, like rawhide strips.

Anybody see the untapped potential here besides me? Think about it. Niche beers for dogs, a website devoted to beer reviews of dog beer by dogs (Seriously, who would know that it was a human saying the "Fire Hydrant IPA" was rated at 4/5 barks), and lastly custom glassware for the various dog beers.

Anybody willing to front me some cash to make this a reality? I'm quitting my job right now!!!:D

Dogs can be many things to many people, but they shouldn't be a drinking buddy. I can see gag gift potential for this product, but that's about it. I know you want to feel close to your dogs and all, but this isn't the answer. Stick with the rawhide and milkbones, as Evan suggested. Dogs don't understand that spending lots of money on them is a form of affection. Only people do that.

A friend got his dog drunk when I was a kid. What fun! Actually his brother got their dog drunk. Beer was too hard for us to come by to waste on the dog.

I give a palm of beer to my dog once in a while. She loves it, and usually will go sniffing around for the bottle for several minutes after I am done. Our new puppy loves to drag my empties around the house, and licks the tops.

Dog's livers do contain the enzymes (including alcohol dehydrogenase) to metabolize alcohol. The problem occurs when people forget that their pets are usually MUCH smaller than them and OD them with alcohol. You may think its a few sips of beer, but think of your pet being 3,4,5x smaller than you... An ounce or two can be A LOT of alcohol to them!

Dog livers can process alcohol. The standard treatment for chocolate poisoning is IV alcohol. The liver processes the alcohol rather than the theobromine and the kidneys clear out the theobromine. I had a Shepard-mix that ate two pounds of chocolate chips my GF left out.

Chronic alcohol use causes all of the problems it does in people.

Huh, I hadn't heard of ethanol used for the treatment of theobromine toxicity, I will have to look that one up in the journals... Usually the standard treatment that I have heard of for theobromine is supportive treatment, treatment of seizures with IV diazepam, and treatment of possible bradycardia....

Ethanol IS/WAS THE treatment for ethylene glycol (antifreeze) toxicity. Ethylene glycol itself is about as toxic as Ethanol, but its metabolites are extremely toxic. The idea for treatment is to prevent the metabolism of EG so it can be flushed from the body before it causes damage. Alcohol dehyrogenase is the first stop on the metabolic pathway, and since Ethanol has a higher affinity for the alcohol dehydrogenase enzyme, it competitively inhibits the metabolism of ethylene glycol to glycoaldehyde, allowing it to be excreted un-metabolized preventing further damage.

More recent treatments for ethylene glycol include 1,3-butandiol and 4-methyl pyrazole due to thier even higher affinity for alcohol dehydrogenase and less side effects than ethanol.

Ethanol IS/WAS THE treatment for ethylene glycol (antifreeze) toxicity. Ethylene glycol itself is about as toxic as Ethanol, but its metabolites are extremely toxic. The idea for treatment is to prevent the metabolism of EG so it can be flushed from the body before it causes damage. Alcohol dehyrogenase is the first stop on the metabolic pathway, and since Ethanol has a higher affinity for the alcohol dehydrogenase enzyme, it competitively inhibits the metabolism of ethylene glycol to glycoaldehyde, allowing it to be excreted un-metabolized preventing further damage.

More recent treatments for ethylene glycol include 1,3-butandiol and 4-methyl pyrazole due to thier even higher affinity for alcohol dehydrogenase and less side effects than ethanol.

Same pathways and treatments for humans, too. Every now and again an old alcoholic will show up having drank antifreeze to either get a buzz, to attempt suicide, or both. Then we have to investigate where how he drank it, ie. fresh antifreeze out of a jug or used antifreeze. If he ingested used antifreeze, then we have to eval/treat for heavy metal toxicity, too, due to it having picked up lead and whatnot from the radiator.

Back to the OP, though. If a friend leaves a can of BMC in the fridge after a party, it makes a great dog toy. I put a pinhole or two in it and shake it up. Then they have a big time trying to lap the beer as it fizzes out. They get all excited, both because of the taste and the noise, bat it around, carry it. They don't end up ingesting much, really, and besides, they are 60 lb and 110lbs, so I think they probably have a tolerance similar to that of sorority girls. :drunk:

Our dogs are part of the family, but they're still dogs. You could dilute beef broth with water and they'd love it, and it'd be a lot cheaper than that doggie beer.

BTW, my little buddy likes to lick the tops of beer bottles. He prefers light American lagers.

diegobeerzo9.jpg

200603190034aj0.jpg

The brew mentioned in the OP is non-alcoholic and made with beef and malt extracts. Click on the link you'll that see that info in big letters at the very top of the article :rolleyes:

A lot of non-brewing quality malt extract is used in the production of animal feeds anyway, so this product isn't all that unusual.

The brew mentioned in the OP is non-alcoholic and made with beef and malt extracts. Click on the link you'll that see that info in big letters at the very top of the article :rolleyes:

I know that---my post was directed at the people who responded with "hell, I just feed my dog some regular beer".

Well, to tell you the truth, I've never seen a dog respond badly to a saucer full of beer. Given once or twice a year. As with all things in life, everything in moderation (in this case rare and extremely moderate) :)

And I'm sure that there's no more complex a process involved in making this stuff than there is in making "dog beer", then bottling and capping it...

It just seems like a gimmick to me. Hehe, "dog beer", hey, I like beer, I should get some for my dog so he can drink beer too...hehe, beer. Yeah, yeah, BEER! Or I could just go buy some milkbones or whatever my dog likes to eat, like rawhide strips.

It is just a gimmick. If some people get their kicks from it, word. I dont buy my dog "dog beer". She gets rawhides and beggin strips. However, I am not going to bust someones balls if they want to give their dog "dog beer'.

Back