Beer, beer everywhere and not a drop to drink...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funkenjaeger

Reaction score
So I got sick 2 weeks ago, it lasted a couple days with flu-like symptoms, and then went away except for a cough. I expected it to go away but it didn't, so yesterday I saw a doctor and got put on some meds.

Haven't been able to sample my beer much in those 2 weeks, being on dayquil/nyquil (acetominophen), and although I've felt alright I haven't had the energy to brew either thanks to loss of sleep due to coughing.

So now it's looking like it'll take another week to get over this, which means no beer during that time thanks to the smattering of medicine I have to be taking. Wouldn't be so bad if I felt generally sick and didn't want beer anyway, but I feel pretty much fine except for the cough. My freshly-tapped keg of ahtanum pale ale and twin batches of ordinary bitter are going to be staring me in the face... I can almost hear them laughing at me :(

Oh well, I guess there's a time to drink and a time to brew and rebuild your stock. But as soon as I'm over this, I'll definitely be doing the former, because three weeks with little to no homebrew is practically torture!

That suxxorz. I hate it when I get sick and I have awesome new batches waiting for me. But it does help with the patience thing.

Pffft, you can drink with cough syrup, just have a half a pint and call it a day. Homebrew has healing properties!

But really, in an attempt to NOT sound like a nagging mother, try to go easy on the nyquil because sometimes it can make you feel worse. If you have a sore throat, it'll dry that out and make you feel worse, and if you've got a lot of phlegm, you really need to be coughing. That's its only way out.

Unless you're on some hardcore painkillers, then a smattering of beer isn't going to do any harm. If you're not driving anywhere or operating any heavy machinery then I think you'd be fine having a beer or two. :D

Ill for one advocate that you are doing the right thing staying away from homebrew, or any alcohol for that matter, while taking acetaminophen (eg Tylenol ). That stuff is pretty taxing on your liver as is, and the extra brew doesn't help. grant you will probebly be fine with "one or two," But if i am going to cause extra liver damage, Id rather it be with brew, and not nyquill.:cross:

Great, I can spell "acetaminophen" but not "probably" I have been in school way too long...

Well, I wouldn't be so concerned if all I was taking was some simple OTC cough syrup, but presently during the day I'm on Tessalon (prescription cough suppressant), dayquil, and sometimes robitussin DM when needed... And at night I'm on Tussionex (prescription cough syrup, hydrocodone-based - ie - narcotic). It's quite the cocktail of medication, and believe me, I'm someone who doesn't like taking medicine unless I really need to so I'm really not enjoying this, but between the doctor's orders and the advice of my father (who happens to be a hospital pharmacist) I'm not in much of a position to argue - same goes for avoiding alcohol while this runs its course.

Although the medication has me pretty out of it, at the very least, it's more pleasant than the usually unpleasant, dizzy, energy-draining drowsiness you often get when subsisting on dayquil. And I was ecstatic this morning after FINALLY getting a good night's sleep for the first time in 2 weeks - it's sure nice not feeling extremely tired all day. Still got a ways to go, but at least now I feel like I'm really on the road to recovery.

think if it as some extra time to age - those brews are going to be even better in a few weeks...

Funkenjaeger said:
Well, I wouldn't be so concerned if all I was taking was some simple OTC cough syrup, but presently during the day I'm on Tessalon (prescription cough suppressant), dayquil, and sometimes robitussin DM when needed... And at night I'm on Tussionex (prescription cough syrup, hydrocodone-based - ie - narcotic). It's quite the cocktail of medication, and believe me, I'm someone who doesn't like taking medicine unless I really need to so I'm really not enjoying this, but between the doctor's orders and the advice of my father (who happens to be a hospital pharmacist) I'm not in much of a position to argue - same goes for avoiding alcohol while this runs its course.

Although the medication has me pretty out of it, at the very least, it's more pleasant than the usually unpleasant, dizzy, energy-draining drowsiness you often get when subsisting on dayquil. And I was ecstatic this morning after FINALLY getting a good night's sleep for the first time in 2 weeks - it's sure nice not feeling extremely tired all day. Still got a ways to go, but at least now I feel like I'm really on the road to recovery.

Wait...is that the stuff that's really just cough syrup with codeine? They gave me that when I was 9 years old and had severe bronchitis. Those were some fun times.

beta pleated sheet said:
Wait...is that the stuff that's really just cough syrup with codeine? They gave me that when I was 9 years old and had severe bronchitis. Those were some fun times.
Nope, not quite - but I do have a bottle of that too, which I was prescribed for a different illness about a year ago. I had a weird reaction when I took it then (though I tried small doses of it this week and didn't have any problem) so I was prescribed this other stuff instead this time. Pretty similar though, hydrocodone is derived from codeine anyway. Sure knocked me right out last night. Turns out it's the same stuff they gave me years ago when I got my wisdom teeth out (aka Vicodin)

I can't believe I keep getting prescribed all these crazy narcotic meds, guess it's a good thing I'm not an irresponsible teenager, or live with any who might want to raid the medicine cabinet
:drunk:

Back